PDA

View Full Version : SAMBA, NFS, FTP any connection.

SJG
03-06-2004, 07:40 AM
I have Knoppix 3.2 installed on HD and am trying to connect either way between KnoppixBox and a Mac running OSX.3

My main goal is to be able to edit a website on the Apache Server on the Knoppix box, uploading files from my Mac.

Loading Knoppix was a breeze. Apache no prob, I have a Swiki running, but no luck with any type of NFS connection to the KnoppixBox. I installed Proftpd but can't write to any files even if connected. I've checked and set permissions. I've played around with the SAMBA.conf file and have been able to see the directory I wanted to mount but then denied access.(now I just get an error mssg -36 saying data can't be read)

I'm a newbie and have no clue why it isn't working. I've scoured Google but am getting nowhere. It seems that NFS and FTP are basic services a Linux box should supply and I can't believe I'm having so much difficulty. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

SJG

RockMumbles
03-06-2004, 08:46 AM
If an ftp server is running on the knoppix box you should be able to ftp into the knoppix box as a user and put files into the users home directory. Then move the files into /var/www (as root) or wherever you need them.

HTH

~rock

windos_no_thanks
03-06-2004, 09:06 AM
Are you running the ftp server as a daemon or are you expecting inetd to start it whenever you connect ? In the latter case you need to edit /etc/inetd.conf (and maybe restart inetd)
Unencrypted services like nfs and ftp are not considered secure anymore (well, ftp is ok for anonymous access) so they are disabled by default. For what you want to do I would recommend using ssh instead though.

SJG
03-06-2004, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the responses.

What is the process to use ssh? How do I get that configured on my server to allow access to files?

Thanks again.

windos_no_thanks
03-06-2004, 05:23 PM
What is the process to use ssh? How do I get that configured on my server to allow access to files?

IIRC the ssh server should be running already if you haven't disabled it, to check do this:

ps auxwww | grep sshd | grep -v grep

If nothing shows up you need to start it:

/etc/init.d/ssh

(as root of course)

To make that permanent one would do something like this:

ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc0.d/K20ssh
ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc2.d/S20ssh
ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc3.d/S20ssh
ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc4.d/S20ssh
ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc5.d/S20ssh
ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc6.d/K20ssh

Use scp to copy things from one machine to the other and ssh to get a console on the other machine. A reasonable place to start would be to read the man pages: ;-)

man ssh
and

man scp

SJG
03-06-2004, 06:52 PM
Wow, SSH works like a charm. Who'd a thought to read the manual, lol.

Thanks for your help.

Stephen
03-06-2004, 09:13 PM
To make that permanent one would do something like this:

ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc0.d/K20ssh
ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc2.d/S20ssh
ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc3.d/S20ssh
ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc4.d/S20ssh
ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc5.d/S20ssh
ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc6.d/K20ssh

To do it properly with the Debian method you would either update-rc.d ssh defaults or update-rc.d ssh start 20 2 3 4 5 . stop 20 0 1 6 . as root and it will create the proper links for you.