PDA

View Full Version : Multiple users using x server?????????

LinuxIdiot
02-20-2003, 12:58 AM
I love the release of knoppix one thing that I have never figured out was how to have two users be able to use the x server at the same time??? For example: I am already logged in as user knoppix is there a way for me to lock my login but still allow someone else to login say user donovan without me having to log out?

Dave_Bechtel
02-20-2003, 04:23 AM
--If you are installed to HD, this is covered in my Linuxtips page:

tty1 (Alt-F1) is user knoppix
' startx '

tty2 is user donovan (or root, or whatever)
' startx -- :1 '

tty3 is user blah
' startx -- :2 '

--Note that more than 1 X-session will consume large amounts of resources on your computer, but donovan can also be running a different windowmanager (gnome, icewm, or whatever) with his own separate settings. I've used this method to switch between completely different GUI environments, and everything is still running multitasked in the other session(s).

--As far as NETWORKED (remote) X-sessions goes, that's a bit beyond my league; but there's plenty of documentation available online for it. Also look into "VNC" which is remote-access for Linux, Windows and a lot of other stuff.

I love the release of knoppix one thing that I have never figured out was how to have two users be able to use the x server at the same time??? For example: I am already logged in as user knoppix is there a way for me to lock my login but still allow someone else to login say user donovan without me having to log out?