PDA

View Full Version : SPEAK FREELY ON KNOPPIX-HELP REQUEST

magicavis
03-06-2004, 04:48 PM
I am novice to Knoppix,migrating from M$ w2000 pro
I use very frequently SPEAK FREELY (http://speak-freely.sourceforge.net/)
for private coversations over internet thanx to the very strong encryption that it offers,but unfortunatelly i was unable till now to run either the .deb or the .rpm packages on a cd booted Knoppix system.
Please Someone more expert can tell me the exact passes that i must follow in order to get it work?
Thanks

Cuddles
03-06-2004, 05:03 PM
magicavis,

Lets see if I can help you out here,

From what I know, considering you said you are running Knoppix from the CD, I don't think you can install new packages. The CD can not be written to, its a "locked" operating system, if you are only using the Knoppix CD.

If I can put this into Windows terminology, for you, it would be like running Windows, any version, with a hard drive that can't be written to. Windows installs many files, for any program, into the programs folders/directories, the Windows folders/directories, and even into the System folders/directories - you can't install a program in Windows if you can't write to the disk, right?

I am not an expert, no way, don't call me Ms. Linux Guru, I don't want the title, so, I am sure others may have other ways to "get around" this hitch, or, if you are lucky, maybe a "like" program already exists within the Knoppix CD already, I don't know.

But, as far as I have heard, you can't install new packages, or programs, if you run Knoppix on a closed system (write locked). Other options, that I know of, are, install it, the operating system that is, onto your system. Do a complete Knoppix CD install, thus, this opens up the avenue of being able to install the packages you speak of.

Just my thoughts on the subject,
Cuddles