PDA

View Full Version : Many Hard drive installation issues

DrWhom
03-07-2004, 07:37 PM
The live CD works perfectly. But, I have issues on knx-hdinstall:
1. How can I get rid of Red Hat's LILO splash. It's either in the MBR or root HD.
2. When I install Knoppix to the HD, I receive and error that flashes to quickly for me to copy. It is something about not being able to cp becasue of an unfound folder. Can I retrieve a log file with these quick error messagaes?
3. Many hardware devices are unfound during HD KDE bootup: sound and again a window pops-up but is too quick for me to read.
4. Thanks for any and all help.

towjamb
03-08-2004, 04:10 AM
The live CD works perfectly. But, I have issues on knx-hdinstall:
1. How can I get rid of Red Hat's LILO splash. It's either in the MBR or root HD.
2. When I install Knoppix to the HD, I receive and error that flashes to quickly for me to copy. It is something about not being able to cp becasue of an unfound folder. Can I retrieve a log file with these quick error messagaes?
3. Many hardware devices are unfound during HD KDE bootup: sound and again a window pops-up but is too quick for me to read.
4. Thanks for any and all help.

I'm going to take a stab at it ...
If Knoppix runs fine from CD, then it should be okay to install. But use "knoppix-installer" instead and follow the installation steps, which include formatting your existing Linux partition/s, choosing swap and /, and installing a fresh copy of Lilo to the master boot record if you want to overwrite the RH install. Follow these steps and everything should turn out fine. Report back if they don't.

DrWhom
03-20-2004, 06:17 PM
:D Success! I totally wiped the hard drive using MS-DOS debug. This appears to have been the key. Thank all!

DrWhom