PDA

View Full Version : Accessing home PC from work?

A. Jorge Garcia
03-08-2004, 02:19 AM
My home office has a cable modem and a router connected to several PCs running KNOPPIX.

Now, without the router, one PC attached to the cable modem has an IP address of 24.xxx.xxx.xxx returned by ifconfig. However, when the PCs are attached to the router, ifconfig returns IPs like 192.xxx.0.100, 192.xxx.0.101, 192.xxx.0.102, etc.

Is there a way to login to my home PCs thru the cable modem and router from work? Should I setup ssh at home? Is there a better way?

TIA,
AJG

OErjan
03-08-2004, 08:40 PM
on my d-link i can set a port to be forwarded to a internal IP, that is one of the 192.168...adresses, and from that i can reach all my other computers inside the router.
that is, i can use ssh (my prefered way), telnet (NOT recomended) , vnc or perhaps tight-vnc (preferably tunneled) to connect to a computer on the inside of my router.

the above is more of a hint, if you want a detailed description you would have to tell me the make/modell of router. I suspect it is a simpler D-link, Netgear, 3Com...

A. Jorge Garcia
03-09-2004, 01:24 AM
Yup, mine is a D-Link DI-604 and the ips it generates are 192.168.0.100, 192.168.0.101, etc.

TIA,
AJG

OErjan
03-09-2004, 03:51 PM
aaah,ok.
not used that model. but i have found an online manual.
according to that there should be a advanced tab and under that to the left a Yellow a button with the text virtuall server.
if you click that you get a "form" to fill in, something like.

X Enabled disabled

Name ssh

Private IP 192.168.0.XXX

Protocol Type tcp

Private Port 22

Public Port 22

Schedule Always
where you replace XXX with the desired IP. if you want several you could likely just take a higher port on the incomming side (say 5000) and let that be translated to port 22 on a different IP.

By now you should have something working.

There is the less safe choise of using DMZ. NOT recomended.

let me know if it works. if not post your config and we shall see if i can help.

A. Jorge Garcia
03-09-2004, 09:34 PM
I'm to find an advanced tab on what, the router itself? Then the form comes up when, every time I boot up?

Confused,
AJG

OErjan
03-09-2004, 09:47 PM
oops, ok, open a browser (mozilla, konqueror, IE...) type in http://192.168.0.1 you should get a "webpage" that will alow you to configure things on your router. it should be on your manuals. if not, ask and i will try answering, just remember i have no such router, just experience with similar devises.

A. Jorge Garcia
03-10-2004, 01:15 AM
Sorry, I have no manuals for this device I got used off ebay....

Anyway, I go http://192.168.0.1 and it requires a userid and passwd???

TIA,
AJG

Hunkah
03-10-2004, 05:31 AM
I myself use a D-Link router (DI-624) and it is the most simplest thing in the world to set up. I am not sure but I think I read that it needs to be set-up with a windows machine, but it is web based so I don't think so.

I know that you can get the manual from their web site. Read it. It is not that long and it will tell you all that you need to know.

The only thing you need to learn is how to set up your computer to accept the connection. This is what I myself do not know.

The only reason I am butting into this conversation is because you need to read the manual. Get it, it will save a lot of typing. Then you can get down to the real problem. Setting up the two computers to allow for what you are looking for.

BTW, I just bought a D-Link DWL-G520 and am going to set it up in 5 mins.

OErjan
03-10-2004, 06:54 PM
according to manual you give admin as login and just hit enter, there is no password as default.
if that does not work, hmmm.
There is a hole (2mm ) to the side of the powerplug jst push paperclip in there (do not break anything) hold the button depressed for 10-20 seconds and now you should be able to log in as above (set a nes password aperhaps, none is not a safe option).
EDIT here is the link where you can download the manual http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DI%2D604 /EDIT
EDIT II IF you RESSET your router ALL settings WILL get lost /EDIT II

A. Jorge Garcia
10-02-2004, 09:50 PM
OOPs, I forgot about this thread!

Anyway, once I set-up the dlink as explained above, how do I know my IP address at home? I use a cable modem, so I suppose I'm on a DHCP LAN from the cable company.

The IP wouldn't be that 24.... I get from ifconfig when I pull out the router, would it? BTW, I'd rather not pull it out. Is there somewhere I can logon to and it will tell me what my IP is? Oh, got it: http://checkip.dyndns.org/

OK, so I set up a virtual server using private ip 192.168.0.101 and TCP protocol for http (a web server), but what ports do I set?

TIA,
AJG

shah
10-03-2004, 05:20 AM
My idea, never try it yet because I don't work....don't have pc at work :lol:
I would run nxserver on my home pc and nxclient on my home pc.
Then I will register my home pc to any free dynamic dns server out there ex: no-ip.com or dydns.org. I prefer no-ip because it has script that will update the ip everytime I boot my home pc.
This way I can check my home pc ip remotely ( from work pc ) by logging in to their site. I did this for apache. http://checkip.dyndns.org/ only good if you want to check your existing pc 's ip.
:D :D :D

A. Jorge Garcia
10-06-2004, 12:38 AM
OK, thanx for all the help - its all working like a charm!

In fact, my students and I can ssh into a KNOPPIX server at work to do home work.

In addition, now we can login to a KNOPPIX server I setup at home so we can get by the school filters when we must (for educational purposes only)!

Wow, this is actualy my thousandth post!

Regards,
AJG

jMon54
05-25-2005, 03:58 PM
I have a D-Link 624 router also. And I would like to connect from my Linux home computer to my work's Windows computer. I can connect just fine using VNC. And I can connect using SSH. What I have yet to figure out is how to use both so that my VNC connection is secure. When I connect under SSH all I get on the work computer is a command prompt, I need a GUI.