PDA

View Full Version : shutdown...kind of basic :-/

chazllor
03-08-2004, 11:45 PM
hey! I'm a brand-newbie around here :D (just downloaded my Knoppix CD yesterday =) so far I love it but I've had 1 problem with it. This might be a dumb question, but after i shut down Knoppix...i get the black screen and it tells me that shutdown is starting and then says shutdown complete. Am i supposed to shut off my computer manually at this point? because i figured i was supposed to, but my computer power button didn't respond, so i had to unplug it from the wall which i didnt like doing:-/ i know this is probably not neccesary but i didnt know what else to do! lol! if anyone could help i'd greatly appreciate it!

(also the only other problem i had was that my mouse just stopped workin about 20 min. into using Knoppix...even though nothing else froze, i just couldnt move the mouse, if anyone might know anything about that too it'd help too! ;-)

Thanx guys!

Cuddles
03-09-2004, 01:22 AM
chazllor,

I'll take a poke at the shutdown issue, not sure on the other, the mouse issue, maybe some more info on your mouse, or system, or even version of Knoppix, or how your mouse is connected to your system, will assist in resolving that...

Some BIOS and computer systems will "power off" on their own, if they get the signal to, some settings in your BIOS, like something along the ranges of "Power Button State", if the power button is set to on/off, you just press the power button and it will work just like a switch. If the setting is set to automatic (i think) the OS can actually tell the system to power off on its own, for protection, another setting for this is a "delay action" type of setting - in which, just pressing the power switch will do nothing - you must press, and hold, the power switch in for at least 5 to 10 seconds before the power is turned off. This last setting is good for kids who play around a computer, because they can't "accidently" press the power, and the system just drops power on you.

I will take a guess that this setting in your BIOS is set to delay. Next time you drop the system, try holding the power switch for about ten seconds, or until the power goes off. If you get the chance, take a look in your BIOS for this setting, you can set it so that Knoppix turns off your computer when you "Shutdown" your system.

Hope this helps,
Cuddles