PDA

View Full Version : How do you change from KDE to Enlightenment?

lunatika
03-08-2004, 11:57 PM
Hi,
I've installed all the enlightement files via apt-get. I run update-alternatives --config x-window-manager and choose Enlightenment. I then get an error:
Using `/usr/bin/enlightenment' to provide `x-window-manager'.
update-alternatives: unable to make /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager.dpkg-tmp a symlink to /usr/bin/enlightenment: Permission denied
I run it as root and it works - yet startx as root still doesn't give me Enlightenment.
I know I'm doing something basic wrong - back in the old days I had to edit .xinitrc and so on. Is this the case for knoppix?
Thanks
Angie

Durand Hicks
03-09-2004, 04:14 AM
Odd, I'm using Enlightenment myself. I never had to do the update-alternatives thing. Basically, what I did was apt-get install everything Enlightnement needed, and then logged out, then choose enlightenment instead of kde and login, that's it. Nothing else is needed but as for making it the default, I haven't gotten that far yet, but I'm not worried about it at this point as it works, period.

FuzzieBio
03-09-2004, 04:50 AM
Different GUI I am guessing? I wonder what it looks like. Links please?

lunatika
03-09-2004, 05:03 AM
It looks incredible - go to www.enlightenment.org.
Durand, I installed the same way - by logging out and selecting enlightenment - what do you mean by that? I normally just type startx. Is that my error?
Thanks

Durand Hicks
03-09-2004, 05:56 AM
I'm not sure what login screen you're using, but I'm using the kdm login screen. There are a list of window managers to choose from besides kde, like icewm, twwm, fluxbox, blackbox, etc. Enlightenment is also listed in there and you basically scroll down to enlightenment, enter your password for your account and then enter. That's all there is to it, no muss no fuss.

Durand Hicks
03-09-2004, 06:11 AM
Also, I'm wondering why you would need to type startx? Once you're in enlightenment, you should see a greenish background (brushed metal theme, I think) and there is an iconbox in the lower right-hand corner, and your standard virtual desktops in the lower left-hand corner. If you don't see this, you're missing some other items related to enlightenment. To get the complete list, this is what I did:
Open a terminal window, and type su + password.
Type apt-cache search enlightenment >enlightenment.txt (this outputs a list of packages you need for enlightenment).
Apt-get install most of the packages in the list. Some you don't need, like the wmbutton stuff. Some will suggest additional packages not covered in the list, so watch out for those. The one other package I recommend you don't install is eeyes. It's huge, and it would take out half of kde to install it, but it's your decision.
Exit the terminal
Log out
At the login screen, enter your password for your account and scroll down to enlightenment in the list of window managers.
Press enter and you're in enlightenment.
Now wasn't that easy as pie?

lunatika
03-10-2004, 02:20 AM
Thanks Durand, that solved the problem. I used the KDM login manager and hey presto - I could choose enlightenment :)

Durand Hicks
03-10-2004, 05:12 AM
Glad to hear that you got it going! Enjoy!