PDA

View Full Version : Boot failed. Need help.

fifaplayer
03-09-2004, 05:46 AM
I get this after pressing [enter],

>Loading vmlinuz........
>Boot failed: please change disks and press a key to continue.

I've already tried everything possible and still cannot get into knoppix.
For infomation on my PC.

Acer Aspire Pentium 4 1.7 ghz
768 MB RAM
Aopen External CD Burner
Nero 5 (OEM)

I've already checked the .iso md5 and it turn out Ok using md5summer.
Need some advice and help.

SolarCat
03-13-2004, 07:37 PM
I've had that same problem. I assume you're booting from a floppy first instead of directly from the CD? As near as I can figure, it's something wrong with the floppy. I fixed it once (just kept rewriting the floppy image onto the disk until I got one that worked) but it broke again. You could try that, I suppose... I'm not sure of any long-term fixes, though...

ozembassy
03-27-2004, 03:12 AM
Wow, I'm having a similar problem. I have not been able to create a boot disk - it refuses to load, "boot failed." So far I've tried: (On Windows) the mkfloppy.bat script on Knoppic CD; rawrite, rawrite2, and rawritewin; and (on RedHat) using dd to move boot image to /dev/fd0. It just seems like everything returns an error, all pointing to bad media, but I've gone through a stack of floppies, and in the meantime I had no trouble creating RedHat boot floppies.

Anyway, that's my experience for what it's worth.

SolarCat
03-27-2004, 05:57 AM
I think part of the problem might be an error on the Knoppix version. I finally pulled out an old 3.3 CD and made a boot from that - that one works every time. The newer 3.3 floppy image might have an error in it somewhere...? I'm only guessing.
Another thing you might want to check would be to clean your floppy drive. You can buy disks at the store that do this specially. (Or you can do what I do, pop in a normal blank floppy, pull it out again, and check for dust. :D ) A friend recommended this - if dust gets on it when reading/writing, it probably won't work right.
Other than that, I'm not really sure what the problem might be. You might just want to wait for 3.4 to come out (I think it's about a week from now or so?) and try making a floppy disk from that one...