PDA

View Full Version : few ideas

freeballer
02-20-2003, 04:33 PM
first knoppix seems to have a apache among other things, I can't understand why.
I'd really like to see only kde installed, get rid of the rest of the guis.
A more streamlined version of knoppix would be great one that would fit on those small 180mb CDs.
I was rather impressed with the knoppix lite, but I'd like to see kmail, yahoo messenger, xchat, mozilla installed among others installed. (openoffice if it would fit) I do think that there was gaim on there but if not.... I can't remember as well, if there was the option to save the configuration on a knoppix floppy.

I'd like to see a few less options on the kmenu, it seems so cluttered. There are no need for games!!!!

I would like to see some more konsole tools; like pico/pine, bitchx, a newsgroup program, as well as parted and perhaps a backup/restore tool for the MBR

and there should be a password for the root user even if it's just knoppix, or perhaps the fine gentleman's first name who created knoppix, sorry can't remember his name offhand. that would be something you can remember, but something most users (if it were to be hacked) would not.... and we would not get the errors that are caused by not having them in place. (Ps. I know sudo passwd works but I don't want to keep using it everytime)

David Douthitt
02-20-2003, 10:07 PM
first knoppix seems to have a apache among other things, I can't understand why.

If apache is present, I can't find it. I see thttpd, which is much smaller and less of a drain, and still provides quality service.

and there should be a password for the root user even if it's just knoppix, or perhaps the fine gentleman's first name who created knoppix, sorry can't remember his name offhand. that would be something you can remember, but something most users (if it were to be hacked) would not.... and we would not get the errors that are caused by not having them in place. (Ps. I know sudo passwd works but I don't want to keep using it everytime)

Please, I LIKE the knoppix way of doing it. No way to get hacked on a unmodified system. It's relatively trivial to copy in a version of /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow on boot using a knoppix.sh script at boot time - a version of passwd and shadow that has the passwords you want already set.