PDA

View Full Version : NTFS ENCRYPTION EASY TO GET ?

BtL
03-09-2004, 07:56 PM
Salve,

My Windows XP System crashed (boot partition is ntfs). So i boot with Knoppix and i can backup my data. But i have problems to get the data from the "Dokuments And Settings" folder, because i think its encrypted.
I can`t even walk through this directory. But there are necessary files i need.

How to get this whole folder accessed ?
(I know its hard, but never say no !!!) :)

Thx Dr. Ben

Durand Hicks
03-09-2004, 10:31 PM
If you had asked that question in a windows xp newsgroup, the standard answer is without your exported encryption key, your data is as good as gone. There is no backdoor without the encryption key and you *may* be able to recover the key *if* the account is still on the computer, but the steps required are not very easy to begin with. Search google or subscribe to the m$ newsgroup for this very issue, it's a very common question and the answer is there. No version of *nix can recover the encrypted data without the key as well.

Hate to bust your bubble,

Durand

BtL
03-09-2004, 11:42 PM
i never have put a Encryption to my system !!!
Where then should i get / have this key !!!

Durand Hicks
03-10-2004, 05:22 AM
If you haven't encrpyted the data from windows, then you should be able to access anything in windows, as long as you don't write to it without the captive-ntfs driver. The ntfs access controls do not apply as long as you're not using another NT based operating system, AFAIK.