PDA

View Full Version : bootpc listening on port68??

edpi
03-11-2004, 01:30 PM
I've been turning off various services, and am wondering about bootpc, which is listening on port 68. According to Debian package info, bootpc is a bootp client. According to the Webopedia, bootp is

"Short for Bootstrap Protocol, an Internet protocol that enables a diskless workstation to discover its own IP address, the IP address of a BOOTP server on the network, and a file to be loaded into memory to boot the machine. This enables the workstation to boot without requiring a hard or floppy disk drive. The protocol is defined by RFC 951."

This doesn't sound like something I need? Or is it?

Stephen
03-12-2004, 12:09 AM
I've been turning off various services, and am wondering about bootpc, which is listening on port 68. According to Debian package info, bootpc is a bootp client. According to the Webopedia, bootp is

"Short for Bootstrap Protocol, an Internet protocol that enables a diskless workstation to discover its own IP address, the IP address of a BOOTP server on the network, and a file to be loaded into memory to boot the machine. This enables the workstation to boot without requiring a hard or floppy disk drive. The protocol is defined by RFC 951."

This doesn't sound like something I need? Or is it?

Well unless you are going to offer that service no you do not need it and instead of turning things off you should apt-get --purge remove bootp and any other packages that you do not need that offer up services.