PDA

View Full Version : problems with apt-get upgrade after installing knoppix to HD

voldemort_b
03-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Hello,

I'm a complete newbie to Linux, I only have experience with DOS/windows. Yesterday I reformatted my HDD and made a dual-boot system for winXP home and knoppix (debian). I followed the instructions on knoppix.net on how to do a HD installation (using knoppix-installer). That went smoothly, and LILO worked nicely allowing me to boot into either windows or linux.

Then, on the advice of a friend who knows about using Debian, I opened a shell and did "apt-get update".

That worked pretty well, except I got this error:

-----
Failed to fetch http://non-us.debian.org/~kitame/mozilla/./Packages.gz 404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://non-us.debian.org/~kitame/mozilla/./Sources.gz 404 Not Found
Reading Package Lists... Done
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
-----

After that, on the advice of my friend, I did "apt-get dist-upgrade -u". He helped me through most of the dialog screens and stuff. But at the end of that, I was left with this error:

-----
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libwine: Depends: libxv1 but it is not installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
-----

At this point, my friend was unavailable to help me further. The only thing he said before he left was that I should finish the upgrade before restarting my computer. So I've left my computer running ever since. But I don't know how to fix this.

When I do "apt-get -f install" as they suggest, I get:

-----
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0-5_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/libXv.so.1.0', which is also in package xlibs
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0-5_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
-----

I don't know what any of this means ;) . All I know is that this 'wine' program will probably be useful since I think it should allow me to run windows apps under linux, which would be useful for me.

What do I need to do to make my linux usable, and make it safe to power off and everything?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I can be reached on jabber chat at voldemort_b@jabber.org.uk, or msn messenger under katie_dale@hotmail.com . My email address is voldemort_b@playful.com . I'm watching this topic, though, so I'll know when a topic is posted.

V.

voldemort_b
03-11-2004, 01:48 PM
let me just add a request - if you give me a solution, please be very specific, i.e. give me the whole command line I should use. Don't assume I'll understand anything on my own, because chances are, as a newbie, I won't. ;)

Thanks again.

V.

mazaal
03-11-2004, 02:15 PM
for this error:
Failed to fetch http://non-us.debian.org/~kitame/mozilla/./Packages.gz 404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://non-us.debian.org/~kitame/mozilla/./Sources.gz 404 Not Found

you just have to edit /etc/apt/sources.list and get rid of the lines with http://non-us.debian.org/~kitame/ ... then apt-get update

the sources.list files is basically the file that lists the 'sources' from which packages can be obtained ...

for more details please refer to http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html

Stephen
03-12-2004, 12:15 AM
To fix this error.

-----
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0-5_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/libXv.so.1.0', which is also in package xlibs
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0-5_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Use dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0-5_i386.deb and then dpkg --configure -a to configure any packages that may have been missed when the error happened.

voldemort_b
03-12-2004, 10:01 AM
Thanks so much! That helped.

aay
03-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Stephen,

I've gotten quite used to using "dpkg -i --force-overwrite ..." over the past few weeks (months?). I don't recall ever having to do this whe first starting with Knoppix/Debian though. Do you know why we seem to be seeing this more and more often with apt upgrades/installs? Surely, package creators and other Debian folk must be aware of the increased frequency with which this is happening. I'm just wondering what the cause of it is and if there is a plan to address it. Might this be Knoppix issue and not necessairly a Debian issue?

Adam

Stephen
03-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Stephen,

I've gotten quite used to using "dpkg -i --force-overwrite ..." over the past few weeks (months?). I don't recall ever having to do this whe first starting with Knoppix/Debian though. Do you know why we seem to be seeing this more and more often with apt upgrades/installs? Surely, package creators and other Debian folk must be aware of the increased frequency with which this is happening. I'm just wondering what the cause of it is and if there is a plan to address it. Might this be Knoppix issue and not necessairly a Debian issue?

Adam

You are correct I noticed that as well X seems to be in one hell of a mess and when KDE 3.2.1 moved into unstable there was a few packages there as well. I think there is too much of a push going on to get things into unstable so they can move into testing for release when Sarge becomes the new stable and people are getting sloppy. It is not just Knoppix either it is the same mess on my Debian installs as well.

aay
03-13-2004, 02:29 AM
You are correct I noticed that as well X seems to be in one hell of a mess and when KDE 3.2.1 moved into unstable there was a few packages there as well. I think there is too much of a push going on to get things into unstable so they can move into testing for release when Sarge becomes the new stable and people are getting sloppy. It is not just Knoppix either it is the same mess on my Debian installs as well.

Hmm. Interesting. Your hypothesis seems reasonable. Well since this isn't simply a Knoppix problem, i'm sure it's being noticed by lots of people. This needs to stop. Though it's something of a nuisance for you and me , I can see how this would have new users pulling their hair out. Frankly I'd rather wait a few more days and have thing smoothed out. On the other hand, package managers may reply that this is UNSTABLE we are talking about here. Nevertheless, it seems to me that these packages should at least INSTALL.

Markus
03-14-2004, 02:40 PM
I haven't seen much use on the forum of "apt-get -b --ignore-hold whatever_package" which I seem to use quite often to get stuff installed after update-upgrade.
Is it somehow better to use the --force-overwrite or how come no-one uses the one I do?
Or don't they just tell :D

Markus
03-14-2004, 07:31 PM
Hmm, probably shouldn't have hijacked someones post :(

Stephen
03-14-2004, 09:37 PM
I haven't seen much use on the forum of "apt-get -b --ignore-hold whatever_package" which I seem to use quite often to get stuff installed after update-upgrade.
Is it somehow better to use the --force-overwrite or how come no-one uses the one I do?
Or don't they just tell :D

I would normally just track it down with apt-cache policy package and apt-get -s install package and keep adding packages to the line with a package_needed/unstable for what it wants. It is usually just some library from unstable that it needs then most of the other packages will install.

Stephen
03-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Hmm. Interesting. Your hypothesis seems reasonable. Well since this isn't simply a Knoppix problem, i'm sure it's being noticed by lots of people. This needs to stop. Though it's something of a nuisance for you and me , I can see how this would have new users pulling their hair out. Frankly I'd rather wait a few more days and have thing smoothed out. On the other hand, package managers may reply that this is UNSTABLE we are talking about here. Nevertheless, it seems to me that these packages should at least INSTALL.

I agree this type of thing probably scares a lot of people off getting into one of those nightmare installs and they have know way of knowing how to get out of it especially when that apt-get -f install advice that apt usually gives is useless in the situation most of the time. You are correct the standard response on Debian User when some starts with problems in unstable is what do you expect your running unstable if you cannot sort out the problems then run stable.

Markus
03-14-2004, 09:47 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Right now I have 3 packages on hold wanting to remove kdelibs4-dev etc. Not an option.
I'll have a go at your suggestion.