PDA

View Full Version : belkin network card and apollo onboard sound...

Sukrillux
03-12-2004, 01:12 AM
I had originally installed knoppix on a 500mhz vbox computer with onboard LAN/Video (sis)/Sound, but I recently changed the harddrive over to a Soyo K7VTA-Pro with onboard sound (VIA). I'm trying to install a Belkin Network Card along with the onboard sound. I was also having trouble with a ATI 7500, but managed to fix that. I am extremely new to knoppix and linux altogether. I do, however, have a belkin driver disk that has three files on it which are: Linux.txt , TRANS , RTL8139.C . I read the text file and I'm still baffled over how to compile a driver or module. I know that the module would be named rtl8139.o. I just don't know how to get it. I've tried to use the "gcc........." in the konsole, but it just brings up about a hundred warnings and errors. I'm lost and confused. Can someone please help me with "compiling"?

Thanks

Stephen
03-12-2004, 01:45 AM
I had originally installed knoppix on a 500mhz vbox computer with onboard LAN/Video (sis)/Sound, but I recently changed the harddrive over to a Soyo K7VTA-Pro with onboard sound (VIA). I'm trying to install a Belkin Network Card along with the onboard sound. I was also having trouble with a ATI 7500, but managed to fix that. I am extremely new to knoppix and linux altogether. I do, however, have a belkin driver disk that has three files on it which are: Linux.txt , TRANS , RTL8139.C . I read the text file and I'm still baffled over how to compile a driver or module. I know that the module would be named rtl8139.o. I just don't know how to get it. I've tried to use the "gcc........." in the konsole, but it just brings up about a hundred warnings and errors. I'm lost and confused. Can someone please help me with "compiling"?

Thanks

It should not be necessary to compile the module support for that card should already be included. It should be either the 8139too or 8139cp try to use modprobe module it will tell you if it will not load if this is the case it is not the correct module if it loads without warning you should have the correct one.

Sukrillux
03-12-2004, 02:08 AM
As I stated above, I am very new to linux. I opened konsole and typed modprobe 8139cp and it said it couldn't locate module 8139cp. I then typed modprobe 8139too and it said nothing this time and brought up another prompt. What do I do next? How can I make knoppix use this module? With the ati video card, I had to edit the XF86Config-4 file. Do I need to edit another file for the network card? It is probably still using the driver from the old onboard NIC from the other box.

[edit]
Ok. I got it working. But I noticed as it booted where it configures the network interfaces, it said something like "auto-negotiated with 0000 partner starting at half-duplex". Also when calculating module dependencies it hung for a moment and said "spurious.... IRQ 7...." or something like that. It went by fast and that's all i caught. Samba and the connection to the internet are now working, but I can't get apache to work. Any ideas?

Stephen
03-12-2004, 02:26 AM
As I stated above, I am very new to linux. I opened konsole and typed modprobe 8139cp and it said it couldn't locate module 8139cp. I then typed modprobe 8139too and it said nothing this time and brought up another prompt. What do I do next? How can I make knoppix use this module? With the ati video card, I had to edit the XF86Config-4 file. Do I need to edit another file for the network card? It is probably still using the driver from the old onboard NIC from the other box.

That means the module loaded without errors and should be in use. If you use lsmod in a console window you should output similar to this.

stephen@BashfulTux:~$ lsmod
Module Size Used by Tainted: P
nvidia 1968160 14 (autoclean)
apm 9256 2 (autoclean)
via82cxxx_audio 19224 0
ac97_codec 12236 0 [via82cxxx_audio]
uart401 6116 0 [via82cxxx_audio]
usb-uhci 21708 0 (unused)
usbcore 57504 1 [usb-uhci]
ne2k-pci 4448 0 (unused)
8390 6192 0 [ne2k-pci]
ide-scsi 9008 0
agpgart 15464 0
8139too 11368 1
mii 2416 0 [8139too]
crc32 2848 0 [8390 8139too]
[snip ...]

With the network already setup before then it should be a matter of as root /etc/init.d/networking restart to restart the network with the already existing settings with the module loaded and getting your connection. Edit the file /etc/modules as root and put the 8139too on a line by itself and it will be loaded every time you boot.

Sukrillux
03-12-2004, 04:30 AM
I finally got it working! What had happened was another linux machine stole the 101 net ip address so it was confusing this machine into thinking the other was the webserver. Anywho, I would just like to thank you for helping me with this headache. lol

Thanks, Later! 8)

Stephen
03-12-2004, 05:39 AM
[edit]
Ok. I got it working. But I noticed as it booted where it configures the network interfaces, it said something like "auto-negotiated with 0000 partner starting at half-duplex". Also when calculating module dependencies it hung for a moment and said "spurious.... IRQ 7...." or something like that. It went by fast and that's all i caught. Samba and the connection to the internet are now working, but I can't get apache to work. Any ideas?

Good to hear you got it going the auto-negotiated message is the driver getting the speed of network automatically and the spurious IRQ is nothing to worry about it is just a bogus warning as far as i can tell.