PDA

View Full Version : LILO install

Slimer
03-12-2004, 07:21 AM
I am very new to Linux. I am MCSE in Windows but do not know much about Linux. Ask me about windows and I can help but not Linux.

OK, so here is my problem. I installed Widows 98 on a primary FAT 32 partition on 1 drive. I installed Knoppix 3.1 or 3.2 one the same drive with a Linux swap partition. It worked great, I am super impressed with Knoppix. I found the the 98 was version 1 and I decided to install version 2. After the install, Lilo was gone and it always boot into Windows. The MBR must have been overwritten with the install.

My question is, HOW DO YOU INSTALL LILO AFTER THE INSTALLATION? In Windows we use "SYS C:" to copy the system files or "FDISK /MBR" to rewrite the master boot record.

HOW DO YOU INSTALL LILO?

Any help would be cool.

Luis

Stephen
03-12-2004, 09:49 AM
I am very new to Linux. I am MCSE in Windows but do not know much about Linux. Ask me about windows and I can help but not Linux.

OK, so here is my problem. I installed Widows 98 on a primary FAT 32 partition on 1 drive. I installed Knoppix 3.1 or 3.2 one the same drive with a Linux swap partition. It worked great, I am super impressed with Knoppix. I found the the 98 was version 1 and I decided to install version 2. After the install, Lilo was gone and it always boot into Windows. The MBR must have been overwritten with the install.

My question is, HOW DO YOU INSTALL LILO AFTER THE INSTALLATION? In Windows we use "SYS C:" to copy the system files or "FDISK /MBR" to rewrite the master boot record.

HOW DO YOU INSTALL LILO?

Any help would be cool.

Luis

Boot with the Knoppix CD open a console window then:

sudo mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd??
sudo chroot /mnt/hd??/ /sbin/lilo -v

Replace the ?? with the drive letter and partition number of your / partition for Knoppix.

Slimer
03-17-2004, 04:54 PM
Thanks,

That did the trick. LILO is back and the thing still dual boots.

BTW,

I love Knoppix. :D

Luis