PDA

View Full Version : apt-get install mozilla-firefox broke my apt

rhpot1991
03-12-2004, 03:23 PM
I apt-get installed mozialla-firefox and this seemed to cause problems with the mozilla browser in my apt, so I removed the mozilla browser and now I am getting this when I run apt-get upgrade:

root@cyclonus:/home/john# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
mozilla-locale-de-at: Depends: mozilla-browser (>= 2:1.6)
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
root@cyclonus:/home/john#

it won't let me remove mozilla-locale-de-at, and running apt-get install -f does not help either it returns this:

root@cyclonus:/home/john# apt-get install -f
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
mozilla-locale-de-at
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 3432kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 118395 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing mozilla-locale-de-at ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/mozilla-locale-de-at.postrm: line 7: update-mozilla-chrome: command not found
dpkg: error processing mozilla-locale-de-at (--remove):
subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 127
Errors were encountered while processing:
mozilla-locale-de-at
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
root@cyclonus:/home/john#

Now I cannot use apt to do anything, it gives me the same error no matter what I do with it, I tried to reinstall mozilla-browser and that also did not help, I believe the initial error was caused when firefox upgraded some of the packages that the mozilla browser wanted.

Durand Hicks
03-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Hi,

I just posted a tip that should help you fix your problem with mozilla and apt-get. Check this link out to see if it helps, it worked for me as I just found it and fixed it on my own. http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8867&sid=70206cadcf4db967012165efa23c391e

HTH,

Durand

rhpot1991
03-12-2004, 05:14 PM
that seems to be my problem, but when I ls in the sbin directory I can't find the update-mozilla-chrome script, when I try to open it with nano it also can't find it, but if I locate it it finds it in the sbin directory, am I doing something wrong?

rhpot1991
03-12-2004, 05:16 PM
I really think I could have deleted the file when I started to remove the mozilla-browser, can you post me a link to download it and throw it back in there or something?

Durand Hicks
03-12-2004, 07:33 PM
You're on the right track, it is in the /usr/sbin directory. The file is update-mozilla-chrome and you need to open it in your favorite text/binary editor. I don't have a website to host such a fix, but hopefully Klaus or one of the developers are watching this thread and will post a fix shortly.

rhpot1991
03-12-2004, 07:43 PM
mine is gone, I think it was removed when I apt-get removed mozilla-browser, so now my apt-get is locked up and I don't have the file to replace to edit, so I am gonna need that file, if someone can e-mail (jbaab@kings.edu) it to me I can host it and put a link in here.

Durand Hicks
03-13-2004, 12:44 AM
Check your email, it's on it's way. Hope it solves your problem.

Durand

rhpot1991
03-13-2004, 08:37 AM
here is the link for the fixed file:
http://www.arctangent.net/~rhpot1991/update-mozilla-chrome.txt

If you made the mistake, like I did, of removing mozilla-browser then you are more than likely missing all the files that this script references. For now I am going to install knoppix on a spare box so I can rook the files that I need. I can post them compressed when I get it fully working if anyone needs them.

Special Thanks to Durand for hooking me up with the fixed file.