PDA

View Full Version : Network card 3 COM 3C940 not detected

alfred
03-12-2004, 07:38 PM
I have tried several times to use Knoppix (version 3.3 on a bootable CD), but my network card (3Com 3C940 Gigabit) is not detected by this operating system. Unfortunately, I am therefore not able to use Knoppix for the most important application I had in mind (recovery and transfer of data to another PC in case of emergencies). This network card came on board on my Asus P4C800 deluxe motherboard.

Help would be appreciated.

PS: I am an absolute beginner with Linux.

ashyx
03-14-2004, 01:57 AM
Hi, I was having the same problem as you, I'm also pretty new to Linux and Knoppix, but I have managed to rectify it.

I have a 3c2000 on board NIC, but the 3c940 and the 3c2000 share the same driver.
You can download the 3c940 driver from here: http://www.asus.it/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4P8X

Once you have downloaded it you will have to build the driver module. Simply copy the 3c2000.tar.gz to the Knoppix desktop and extract it by right clicking it and then selecting 'extract' from the menu then open the folder it extracts to.
Next click tools then 'open terminal' The command window should open at the current directory where the driver is extracted.

Now type 'make install' and the driver should begin to build.
Once it has finished the driver module will be named 3c2000.o

The next step is to copy the driver module to a floppy disk.
Reboot knoppix with the floppy in the drive then at the boot prompt type 'Expert'
Follow the prompts until it asks if you want to load any other modules from a floppy.
Let it find the module then it will ask which modules you wish to install. Type 3c2000.o and then the driver should load and your card will be detected.
Then just continue with the prompts until knoppix has finished loading. You should now find the driver is loaded and you card is ready to use.

Let me know if you have any problems and if you get it working OK.

P.S. I'm typing this from Knoppix right now.

alfred
03-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Hi, I was having the same problem as you, I'm also pretty new to Linux and Knoppix, but I have managed to rectify it.

I have a 3c2000 on board NIC, but the 3c940 and the 3c2000 share the same driver.
You can download the 3c940 driver from here: http://www.asus.it/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4P8X

Once you have downloaded it you will have to build the driver module. Simply copy the 3c2000.tar.gz to the Knoppix desktop and extract it by right clicking it and then selecting 'extract' from the menu then open the folder it extracts to.
Next click tools then 'open terminal' The command window should open at the current directory where the driver is extracted.

Now type 'make install' and the driver should begin to build.
Once it has finished the driver module will be named 3c2000.o

The next step is to copy the driver module to a floppy disk.
Reboot knoppix with the floppy in the drive then at the boot prompt type 'Expert'
Follow the prompts until it asks if you want to load any other modules from a floppy.
Let it find the module then it will ask which modules you wish to install. Type 3c2000.o and then the driver should load and your card will be detected.
Then just continue with the prompts until knoppix has finished loading. You should now find the driver is loaded and you card is ready to use.

Let me know if you have any problems and if you get it working OK.

P.S. I'm typing this from Knoppix right now.

I am most gratefull!!! I could not believe that I was able to get it working. I have been trying so long. I assumed that it would not be possible, because Knoppix starts from CD and in many occasions I get a message that information cannot be written because of inaccessibility (read-only etc). Also in this case I got error messages, but got the 3c2000.o anyhow.

Thanks tremendously for the clear description.

My next problem: although my soundcard (Sound Blaster live) is detected at startup and the driver emu10K1 is loaded, I cannot play wave- nor midi-files. Strangely enough, I can hear CD's (softer than usual) with the program KsCD, so that the system works alright in that case.

On my motherboard (Asus P4C800 deluxe) there is AI audio AC'97, but under Windows I am using the SoundBlaster, which is added to a PCI-slot. I have to check whether I have the on board chip disabled or on auto-detect. When I configure the audio under Knoppix, the AC97 is detected but does not play the Wave's and Midi's either. Possibly I need the new drivers on the Ausus-URL that you provided. But since the SBlive was detected during start-up and since the CD's are being played correctly, this might not be necessary.

Would you have any ideas on this one as well?

Thanks again for your help!

ashyx
03-14-2004, 07:32 PM
Can't help you with that one I'm afraid cuz I'm still pretty new to KNoppix, but learning fast. However someone will know the answer.

As for the write access to your disks. You can enable write access to ALL disks which will allow you to write to all windows partitions and Linux partions except NTFS.

Right click the drive on the desktop then click properties. Next select unmount then right click it again and click properties, this time click the 'DEVICE' tab and uncheck the 'Read only' box.

You should now be able to write to that drive.

Stephen
03-14-2004, 10:00 PM
But since the SBlive was detected during start-up and since the CD's are being played correctly, this might not be necessary.

Open a console window (clam shell icon on taskbar) and type in sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig and see if it will setup alsa for you or you may want to try expert alsa when you boot and see if it will do it automatically. The CD will play because the is a direct connection to the sound card no OS involved other than for the player or if you use xmms to play it you do not need the cable connected at all it will do it digitally.

alfred
03-15-2004, 01:42 PM
But since the SBlive was detected during start-up and since the CD's are being played correctly, this might not be necessary.

Open a console window (clam shell icon on taskbar) and type in sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig and see if it will setup alsa for you or you may want to try expert alsa when you boot and see if it will do it automatically. The CD will play because the is a direct connection to the sound card no OS involved other than for the player or if you use xmms to play it you do not need the cable connected at all it will do it digitally.

Thanks for replying, Stephen. Your answer helped me to find a solution:

"Expert alsa" worked at boot-up. That is to say another sound driver was loaded. Trying to play a wave-file with this automatic driver, I got an error message. This made me to conclude that previously the correct driver might have been loaded. Trying to configure the soundcard, always the on board sound chip was detected and not my additional Soundblaster. After disabeling the on board chip (was previously at auto), my problems were solved and also Wave-files can be heard now!

slorge
03-17-2004, 05:46 AM
I also posted this in the Networking forum

I swap between Windows 98 SE and Knoppix 3.3 a lot, cause I'm just learning *nix.

Using a 3C905B-TX Nic on a 633 Celeron e-machine w/256 MB RAM

I found if I boot to: "Knoppix desktop=icewm" first, logout/power down then boot with just "knoppix lang=us", I can get an IP address and surf teh net endlessly, but if I try to boot using KDE without the icewm step, my nic is reported as "not supported"

As Tarzan would say, "Me not know why" :oops: