PDA

View Full Version : Using Bash

Guitarplaya512
03-12-2004, 11:25 PM
Ive been reading as much as i can about using knoppix. Ive been trying to learn how to use bash, but the tutorials arent making any sense to me. I figured out how to run a program like "vncrack"or "hydra", but after i start it i dont know what to do with it.

Any advice on how you guys learned how to use bash or where to go from here?

OErjan
03-13-2004, 08:47 AM
man programname, apropos programname, programname --help, and reading on different forums/howtos
http://www.tldp.org/ is a good link.
as is http://floppix.com/ , their labs give a decent understanding of basic bash handling, hmmm and perhaps the library (look for unix aswell as linux).
most things a i have learned from the net. that is forums like this and the documentation on the programes homepage... and the documentation that comes with them ofcource.

Guitarplaya512
03-14-2004, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the info, All help is appreciated :D

Dave_Bechtel
03-14-2004, 01:59 AM
--From what I can see, both "vncrack" and "hydra" are CRACKER'S TOOLS.

--We do **not** support illegal activity on this board.

--If you have a legitimate use for these tools, I suggest you speak up real quick, or be prepared to get banned by the admins.

Ive been reading as much as i can about using knoppix. Ive been trying to learn how to use bash, but the tutorials arent making any sense to me. I figured out how to run a program like "vncrack"or "hydra", but after i start it i dont know what to do with it.

Any advice on how you guys learned how to use bash or where to go from here?

Guitarplaya512
03-14-2004, 02:12 AM
Those were the first programs that came to mind, I have no intentions of cracking, it is illegal and isnt right or moral. I am only trying to learn how to use knoppix and linux.

Sorry if i set a bad apperance by useing the names of those programs but they were the first to come to my mind.

Please do not ban me because I am only trying to learn.

And to tell you the truth, and i couldnt even tell you what those programs do.

windos_no_thanks
03-14-2004, 11:03 AM
--From what I can see, both "vncrack" and "hydra" are CRACKER'S TOOLS.

--We do **not** support illegal activity on this board.

--If you have a legitimate use for these tools, I suggest you speak up real quick, or be prepared to get banned by the admins.

I don't know about those particular tools but I find that attitude rather naive.
A good way to find holes in your system is to try to crack it yourself using the same tools an attacker might me using. For instance users with bad passwords can be a problem in some environments, in such cases a smart admin runs a password cracker on his own /etc/shadow file and takes action (lock the account & notify the user or something like that) if weak passwords are found.