PDA

View Full Version : Wireless and Video Problem

12-11-2002, 04:16 PM
Hello,

I am new to Linux. When I boot up Knoppix (from CD) everything works except for three problems:

1) My wireless card does not work. I have a netgear MA401 PCMCIA card. I get an error in the startup that says something about

"...the driver was compiled with version 14 and the program is using version 15 . Something may be broken...."

When I try to set the encryption key or SSID I get an error (usually not supported)

2)In X windows I can only go to 1024x 768 but my display and video chip support 1600x 1200. I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 with the nVidia GeForce2GO (mobile).

3) Once I find the commands to configure these, how do I save them (since I cannot write to a CD)?

TIA

aay
12-11-2002, 10:11 PM
What version of Knoppix are you running? Is it 11-08-2002 or eariler? The versions after this fix a dell laptop pcmcia problem.

12-12-2002, 12:37 AM
The most recent version (December 7th 2002). I do not think it is a PCMCIA issue. The card is recognized. It appears to be a driver or wireless issue. Supposedly there is a driver that works with this card at www.linux.vlan.org. Even if I downloaded it how do get Knoppix to use it (since Knoppix is on a CD)? Where do I save it? Do I create a Linux partition on my HD?

aay
12-12-2002, 07:20 AM
Ok the newest version was actually release today 12-11, but the 12-07 version takes care of the pcmcia problem so right - no problem there. What's odd is that the changelog for the 12-7 release says support is added for prism2-Module (wavelan-ng). This should bring support for your card. I'm not exactly sure what's wrong here. I know that I had to manually reinsert my card a few times before I could get knoppix to detect it and so that I could then run the wlcardconfig script. You may want to try and gather some more info an what's happening and report it to the developer list. http://mailman.linuxtag.org/mailman/listinfo/debian-knoppix
To see all the feedback you get when you bootup type: "dmesg |less" at the command line.

As far as your resolution goes, type F2 at boot up to see a list of the cheatcodes. Among those listed will be ones to change your screen resolution. E.G. knoppix screen=1400x1050.

Regarding saving configuragions: if you go to the K menu, then Knoppix you should then see an entry to save your configurations to a floppy. When you reboot type: "knoppix floppyconfig" It will then load the configurations saved to the floppy.

Good luck. If you make any more headway with the card please post the results.

Smaction
12-12-2002, 06:11 PM
The card is recognized. I have been using iwconfig to try and configure it and I get a SET error.

What wlcardconfig script?

OK on the floppy config. What about log files?

Thanks again for your help and patience.

Smaction
12-12-2002, 06:38 PM
Used wlanconfig--same SET error.

sundae
12-17-2002, 10:04 PM
I have a similar problem with an Orinoco silver card on Dell Inspiron 4000. The orinoco_cs module was loaded alright, but I get SET errors, and incompatible wireless extension versions.

I'm using 12-12-2002 version.

Sioban
01-26-2003, 01:57 PM
Nobody knows how to set up the SSID for prism2 cards ?

I think using wlanctl-ng is the right way but I do not know what should I do after...

Sioban
01-26-2003, 01:57 PM

I think using wlanctl-ng is the right way but I do not know what should I do after...

Sioban
01-26-2003, 01:59 PM

Sioban
01-28-2003, 10:41 AM
OK guys I'm writing right now from my Dell inspiron 8000 with Dlink Wireless DWL 650, knoppix launched and connected to the network :)

The method :

1- cp /KNOPPIX/etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts /ramdisk
2- rm /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts
3- ln -s /ramdisk/wlan-ng.opts /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts
4- edit /ramdisk/wlan-ng.opts

To set up SSID : Modify DesiredSSID or SSID value
Modify what you need here.

Remove wireless pcmcia card, replug it.

If you have DHCP it works directly.

Question for KNOPPIX developpers : why not putting the whole /KNOPPIX/etc in ramdisk ? so you can edit it at your need (it's only 14Mo).

My 2 cents

Sioban

PS: There's maybe another method, this one works.