PDA

View Full Version : Gateway Solo 2500 knoppix internet question

mwdowns
03-13-2004, 11:04 AM
This is my first post on this forum...so, really, I have absolutely no idea where to begin! :)

Therefore, I'll just start at what I think is the begining:

I am a complete Linux newbie, as in I downloaded the Knoppix image today and just booted my laptop about an hour ago. A complete newbie.

I'm booting from disk on a Gateway Solo 2500, Celeron 400mhz, 288MB RAM, Linksys EtherFast 10/100 PC card, originally running Windows98se.

The bootup process seemed to go without a hitch. The interface is up, and I can explore around the OS. It's really nice...games, tools, browsers...looks like I'll be wasting a bit of time with it! :)

However, how do I connect to the internet? I tried the "ADSL/PPPOE configuration" tool. It asked for my user name and password for my internet service provider, but it didn't connect (i.e. when I tried to use the browser, any page i typed brought up the "page not found" error). So, how do I connect? Please remember I'm a newbie, so I don't yet understand shells and commands and such. But, I'm not stupid (or at least I'm not completely stupid :)), so I can learn this!

Thanks for your help, folks!

mwdowns
03-14-2004, 04:23 AM
Is there any more information that you need for the above question? Do you think it's maybe a compatibility problem with the card?

I'd really like to get this up and running! :)

windos_no_thanks
03-14-2004, 11:16 AM
Is there any more information that you need for the above question? Do you think it's maybe a compatibility problem with the card?

I'd really like to get this up and running! :)

How about telling us about your ISP and what kind of connection you have ?

mwdowns
03-14-2004, 11:58 AM
My ISP is NTT/DION internet in Japan. I'm running an ADSL connection through my PC card (Linksys Etherfast 10/100) to a switching hub.

Is that enough info?

Thanks for the reply! :)

windos_no_thanks
03-14-2004, 08:10 PM
My ISP is NTT/DION internet in Japan. I'm running an ADSL connection through my PC card (Linksys Etherfast 10/100) to a switching hub.

Is that enough info?

It might be enough for someone else who also uses the same ISP :-)
I guess you have an ADSL modem hooked up to the switch/hub ? (or perhaps integrated into the same device)
If the modem is supposed to run in bridged mode (anyone else using NTT/DION reading this and able to say if that is the case ?) and knoppix recognizes your ethernet card things should work automatically.
What do you get in /var/log/messages ?

Stephen
03-14-2004, 10:44 PM

Is that enough info?

You need to use either in the Knoppix menu netcard configuration and select static settings since it does not seem like you use dhcp on your internal network and put in the same settings that you would normally use or you can do the same from the command line by opening a console window (clam shell icon on taskbar) and type in netcardconfig and then enter key. If this is not the case then we will need more information on the setup of your network.

mwdowns
03-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Hey guys.

I typed in "/var/log/messages" in the command line. I got this message: "bash: /var/log/message: Permission denied."

When I typed "netconfig" into the command line, I got this message: "Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0 OK. auto lo eth0."

I can figure out the "permission denied" message :), but I don't really understand the second one. However, I can't understand why permission would be denied for anything...the line worked OK in Windows 98se mode.

To be honest, I don't really have any network settings that I know of. I just bought the Switching Hub so that I could connect both my desktop and laptop to the internet. I have an ADSL modem hooked into the incoming DSL line. From the modem (which was provided by the phone company), I have a line running to the hub (port 1). From ports 2 and 3, I have lines running to my desktop (running Windows XP Home) and my laptop (usually running Windows98se). The laptop has the Linksys Etherfast 10/100 pc card. I never could connect the two computers in a network (and I've just been too lazy to post on other boards to figure out how to do that :)).

What do you think I should do now?

mwdowns
03-15-2004, 03:51 PM
Also, you guys have gotta help me through this...I just discovered KAtomic. If I don't get Knoppix running on my laptop, I might go into withdrawal!!! :D

windos_no_thanks
03-16-2004, 09:01 AM
I typed in "/var/log/messages" in the command line. I got this message: "bash: /var/log/message: Permission denied."

Don't try to run it but look at it and paste the stuff related to networking here.
For instance like this:

less /var/log/messages

mwdowns
03-16-2004, 02:48 PM
I don't really understand what you mean. "Don't try to run it but look at it"...so just look at what I typed? What's that going to do? I don't understand. If I do type "less /var/log/messages" and hit enter, I get the same "Permission denied" message.

Also, what stuff should I paste about networking? Was the information I gave not what you needed?

I'm sorry to be such a dumbass...I really appreciate your help, though!

mwdowns
03-16-2004, 03:07 PM
I've been doing some reading, and does Knoppix come with the drivers for the Linksys Etherfast 10/100 card? If it doesn't, will I even be able to set up an internet connection without installing Knoppix onto the computer...cause running from CD is read only, right?

windos_no_thanks
03-16-2004, 08:39 PM
I don't really understand what you mean. "Don't try to run it but look at it"...so just look at what I typed? What's that going to do? I don't understand. If I do type "less /var/log/messages" and hit enter, I get the same "Permission denied" message.

Oops, forgot to mention you have to be root, one way of getting it done as root is to append "sudo" to the beninning, like this:

sudo less /var/log/messages

Less is just a text file viewer, use the arrow keys to scroll up or down and "q" to exit.

windos_no_thanks
03-16-2004, 08:44 PM
I've been doing some reading, and does Knoppix come with the drivers for the Linksys Etherfast 10/100 card?
I don't know, thus the questions about log files etc... :-) If someone already has knowledge about this card it would be nice if he/she spoke up but the contents of /var/log/messages should give us a clue on what is happening.

Stephen
03-17-2004, 05:05 AM
I've been doing some reading, and does Knoppix come with the drivers for the Linksys Etherfast 10/100 card? If it doesn't, will I even be able to set up an internet connection without installing Knoppix onto the computer...cause running from CD is read only, right?

I think that is the same card I have and it works fine and uses the tulip module.

>$ lspci | grep Ether
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Linksys Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 model NC100 (rev 11)

>$ lsmod | grep tulip
tulip 38208 1
crc32 2848 0 [tulip]

To be honest, I don't really have any network settings that I know of. I just bought the Switching Hub so that I could connect both my desktop and laptop to the internet. I have an ADSL modem hooked into the incoming DSL line. From the modem (which was provided by the phone company), I have a line running to the hub (port 1). From ports 2 and 3, I have lines running to my desktop (running Windows XP Home) and my laptop (usually running Windows98se). The laptop has the Linksys Etherfast 10/100 pc card.

Now this description does not sound right if it is just a hub and not a router then you should have a second network card in one of the machines to share the connection. So is this a switch or a router?

Now this here looks like you get a network connection with DHCP when you ran netcardconfig from a console.

When I typed "netconfig" into the command line, I got this message: "Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0 OK. auto lo eth0."

So did you try to open a browser and see if it works. Here are the commands that we need to see you simply need to open a console window (clam shell icon on tackbar) and type them in and enter key.

sudo lspci -v > lscpi.txt
dmesg > dmesg.txt
sudo ifconfig -a > ifconfig.txt
lsmod > lsmod.txt
sudo mount /dev/fd0 /floppy
sudo cp *.txt /floppy

The first four will redirect the output of the commands to a file which will then be copied to the floppy disk you mount then you can post them here.

windos_no_thanks
03-17-2004, 05:41 AM
Now this description does not sound right if it is just a hub and not a router then you should have a second network card in one of the machines to share the connection.
I don't know about this case but it doesn't always have to be that way. My ISP serves me 5 DHCP addresses through the bridged connection so when I don't have more machines than that simultaneously connected I don't have to use a router. Many modems also have a built-in NAT router (mine does but I don't use that feature) Anyway, if that (the router missing) is the problem in this case it could be tested by telling the other machines to release their addresses and shutting them down.

Stephen
03-17-2004, 08:49 AM
I don't know about this case but it doesn't always have to be that way. My ISP serves me 5 DHCP addresses through the bridged connection so when I don't have more machines than that simultaneously connected I don't have to use a router. Many modems also have a built-in NAT router (mine does but I don't use that feature) Anyway, if that (the router missing) is the problem in this case it could be tested by telling the other machines to release their addresses and shutting them down.

Ah learn something new every day.

mwdowns
03-17-2004, 03:18 PM
windows_no_thanks:

When I typed "sudo less /var/log/messages" nothing appeared on my screen except a small white box in the bottom left corner of the shell dialogue box saying END.

Stephen:

When I typed "lspci | grep Ether" and hit Enter, nothing happened. The same with "lsmod | grep tulip." What's up with that?

Then, when I type in those six command lines, the "mount /floppy" command gives me this message "mount: mount point /floppy does not exist." At the same time I get this message, I hear the floppy disk drive making sounds. What's up with that?

As far as the network questions go, I have no router. It's just a switching hub that connects my computers. My desktop has an onboard VIA Rhine Fast Ethernet adapter. Neither computer connects to the internet through the other (i.e. desktop-->laptop-->internet, or visa versa)...I think they both connect directly to the internet. The network connection between the computers is nonexistant. I never could get it to work so that I could transfer files between them. Probably I should buy a router for that, huh? I think I made a mistake in buying the switching hub. I said I was a newb! :)

Anyway, what do you think I should do. And BTW, I'm not frustrated at all by this...I think it's kinda fun (something to fiddle around with when I get back from work :)). I just hope I'm not wasting either of you folk's time.

windos_no_thanks
03-17-2004, 07:51 PM
When I typed "sudo less /var/log/messages" nothing appeared on my screen except a small white box in the bottom left corner of the shell dialogue box saying END.

Hmm... looks like it's not in use when booting from CD, my mistake...

When I typed "lspci | grep Ether" and hit Enter, nothing happened. The same with "lsmod | grep tulip." What's up with that?

Interesting, what do you get if you leave out the "| grep ..." part ?

As far as the network questions go, I have no router. It's just a switching hub that connects my computers. My desktop has an onboard VIA Rhine Fast Ethernet adapter. Neither computer connects to the internet through the other (i.e. desktop-->laptop-->internet, or visa versa)...I think they both connect directly to the internet. The network connection between the computers is nonexistant. I never could get it to work so that I could transfer files between them. Probably I should buy a router for that, huh? I think I made a mistake in buying the switching hub. I said I was a newb! :)

Well, I run mine like that too. Don't know about windoze but if you have two linux boxes that can't talk to eachother even tough they are on the same physical network because they have been assigned to different subnets (and the packets aren't routed between those nets) you can set up another private subnet, for instance like this:
On the first box:

sudo ifconfig eth0:1 10.0.0.11 netmask 255.255.255.0

On the second box:

sudo ifconfig eth0:1 10.0.0.12 netmask 255.255.255.0

After that they can see eachother at IP addresses 10.0.0.11 and 10.0.0.12

Anyway, what do you think I should do. And BTW, I'm not frustrated at all by this...I think it's kinda fun (something to fiddle around with when I get back from work :)). I just hope I'm not wasting either of you folk's time.
Don't worry about my time, hanging around here is turning into a hobby for me, and sometimes I even manage to say something useful ;-)

Stephen
03-17-2004, 09:41 PM

That looks like it does not get detected if you typed the commands right.

Then, when I type in those six command lines, the "mount /floppy" command gives me this message "mount: mount point /floppy does not exist." At the same time I get this message, I hear the floppy disk drive making sounds. What's up with that?

You should try /mnt/floppy in the command then that should definitely exist if not then use sudo mount /dev/fd0 /mnt then copy to the /mnt directory which will be the floppy disk.

Ok then it must be a connection like windos_no_thanks's then. For the switch you did not make a mistake you just need to buy one more network card for desktop machine put it in and activate the Internet Connection and file sharing. Then you would connect the cable from the laptop to the new card and share the connection and your files in windows or if you run linux on both you need a script to run to share the connection.

mwdowns
03-18-2004, 03:04 PM
Stehpen:

Ok...when I typed "mnt/floppy" I got this: "bash: /mnt/floppy: is a directory" That's good, right? So, what should I do now?

windos_no_thanks:

When I type "lspci | Ether" I get "bash: Ether: command not found." I don't know what that means. :)

Stephen
03-18-2004, 09:52 PM
Stehpen:

Ok...when I typed "mnt/floppy" I got this: "bash: /mnt/floppy: is a directory" That's good, right? So, what should I do now?

windos_no_thanks:

When I type "lspci | Ether" I get "bash: Ether: command not found." I don't know what that means. :)

Yes thats a good sign now you should use the commands I posted earlier in the thread copy the files to a floppy and post them here so we can see them. When you did the lspci command you left out the grep part eg. lspci | grep Ether the grep part is the command not found that it gives you.

mwdowns
03-19-2004, 02:38 AM
OK, I think I understand...maybe :)

This is white I'm going to type (minus the "enter key," of course:

sudo lspci -v > lspci.txt (enter key)
dmseg > dmseg.txt (enter key)
sudo ifconfig -a > ifconfig.txt (enter key)
lsmod > lsmod.txt (enter key)
sudo mount /dev/fd0 /floppy (enter key)

Do I need to type in the "mnt" command anywhere?

Ok. I typed that stuff and got the same "mount point /floppy does not exist." What am I doing wrong? I have a disk in the drive, it seems to recognise the drive in other commands. Am I typing something wrong?

windos_no_thanks
03-19-2004, 08:53 AM

I meant leave out everything after the "|" including it, in other words just "lspci" and "lsmod" but you seem to have sorted that already:

This is white I'm going to type (minus the "enter key," of course:

sudo lspci -v > lspci.txt (enter key)
dmseg > dmseg.txt (enter key)
sudo ifconfig -a > ifconfig.txt (enter key)
lsmod > lsmod.txt (enter key)
sudo mount /dev/fd0 /floppy (enter key)

Do I need to type in the "mnt" command anywhere?

Ok. I typed that stuff and got the same "mount point /floppy does not exist." What am I doing wrong? I have a disk in the drive, it seems to recognise the drive in other commands. Am I typing something wrong?

We already determined that /floppy didn't exist, do this instead:

sudo mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

(mnt is not a command, it is just a directory)

mwdowns
03-19-2004, 01:51 PM
Ok...it worked!

Here's the dmesg file...it's rather long:

Linux version 2.4.24-xfs (root@Knoppix) (gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)) #1 SMP Mi Feb 4 01:03:50 CET 2004
BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
BIOS-e820: 0000000000000000 - 000000000009f800 (usable)
BIOS-e820: 000000000009f800 - 00000000000a0000 (reserved)
BIOS-e820: 00000000000f0d4a - 0000000000100000 (reserved)
BIOS-e820: 0000000000100000 - 0000000011ffb800 (usable)
BIOS-e820: 0000000011ffb800 - 0000000011fffc00 (ACPI data)
BIOS-e820: 0000000011fffc00 - 0000000012000000 (ACPI NVS)
BIOS-e820: 00000000ffff0d4a - 0000000100000000 (reserved)
0MB HIGHMEM available.
287MB LOWMEM available.
On node 0 totalpages: 73723
zone(0): 4096 pages.
zone(1): 69627 pages.
zone(2): 0 pages.
ACPI disabled because your bios is from 99 and too old
You can enable it with acpi=force
Kernel command line: ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix BOOT_IMAGE=vmlinuz
ide_setup: hda=scsi
ide_setup: hdb=scsi
ide_setup: hdc=scsi
ide_setup: hdd=scsi
ide_setup: hde=scsi
ide_setup: hdf=scsi
ide_setup: hdg=scsi
ide_setup: hdh=scsi
Local APIC disabled by BIOS -- reenabling.
Could not enable APIC!
Initializing CPU#0
Detected 400.918 MHz processor.
Console: colour dummy device 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 799.53 BogoMIPS
Memory: 288092k/294892k available (1278k kernel code, 6412k reserved, 547k data, 136k init, 0k highmem)
Dentry cache hash table entries: 65536 (order: 7, 524288 bytes)
Inode cache hash table entries: 32768 (order: 6, 262144 bytes)
Mount cache hash table entries: 512 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
Buffer cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
Page-cache hash table entries: 131072 (order: 7, 524288 bytes)
CPU: L1 I cache: 16K, L1 D cache: 16K
CPU: L2 cache: 128K
CPU: After generic, caps: 0183f9ff 00000000 00000000 00000000
CPU: Common caps: 0183f9ff 00000000 00000000 00000000
Enabling fast FPU save and restore... done.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
Checking for popad bug... OK.
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
mtrr: v1.40 (20010327) Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
mtrr: detected mtrr type: Intel
CPU: L1 I cache: 16K, L1 D cache: 16K
CPU: L2 cache: 128K
CPU: After generic, caps: 0183f9ff 00000000 00000000 00000000
CPU: Common caps: 0183f9ff 00000000 00000000 00000000
CPU0: Intel Celeron (Mendocino) stepping 0a
per-CPU timeslice cutoff: 366.06 usecs.
SMP motherboard not detected.
Local APIC not detected. Using dummy APIC emulation.
Waiting on wait_init_idle (map = 0x0)
All processors have done init_idle
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xf603d, last bus=0
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)
PCI: Discovered primary peer bus ff [IRQ]
PCI: Using IRQ router PIIX/ICH [8086/7110] at 00:07.0
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:0a.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:02.0
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:0a.1
Limiting direct PCI/PCI transfers.
isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
isapnp: No Plug & Play device found
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
Initializing RT netlink socket
Starting kswapd
VFS: Disk quotas vdquot_6.5.1
vesafb: framebuffer at 0xfd000000, mapped to 0xd280d000, size 1984k
vesafb: mode is 1024x768x16, linelength=2048, pages=0
vesafb: protected mode interface info at c000:8d70
vesafb: scrolling: redraw
vesafb: directcolor: size=0:5:6:5, shift=0:11:5:0
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
fb0: VESA VGA frame buffer device
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a National Semiconductor PC87306
RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 100000K size 1024 blocksize
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00beta4-2.4
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
PIIX4: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:07.1
PIIX4: chipset revision 1
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xfcd0-0xfcd7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xfcd8-0xfcdf, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
hda: HITACHI_DK239A-65, ATA DISK drive
hdc: MATSHITA CR-175, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: attached ide-disk driver.
hda: host protected area => 1
hda: 12685680 sectors (6495 MB) w/512KiB Cache, CHS=789/255/63
ide-cd: passing drive hdc to ide-scsi emulation.
hdc: attached ide-scsi driver.
Partition check:
hda: hda1
ide: late registration of driver.
Promise Fasttrak(tm) Softwareraid driver 0.03beta: No raid array found
Highpoint HPT370 Softwareraid driver for linux version 0.02
Guestimating sector 12685615 for superblock
driver for Silicon Image(tm) Medley(tm) hardware version 0.0.1: No raid array found
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
Vendor: MATSHITA Model: CD-ROM CR-175 Rev: 5TCF
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
Initializing Cryptographic API
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
IP: routing cache hash table of 2048 buckets, 16Kbytes
TCP: Hash tables configured (established 32768 bind 32768)
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
Freeing initrd memory: 478k freed
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
NCR53c406a: no available ports found
aec671x_detect:
scsi: <fdomain> Detection failed (no card)
GDT: Storage RAID Controller Driver. Version: 2.05
GDT: Found 0 PCI Storage RAID Controllers
megaraid: v1.18k (Release Date: Thu Aug 28 10:05:11 EDT 2003)
megaraid: no BIOS enabled.
DC390: 0 adapters found
Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!
ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k nls_iso8859-1, errno = 2
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k nls_iso8859-1, errno = 2
ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
cloop: Initializing cloop v2.01
cloop: loaded (max 8 devices)
cloop: /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX: 29909 blocks, 65536 bytes/block, largest block is 65562 bytes.
ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
Freeing unused kernel memory: 136k freed
Real Time Clock Driver v1.10e
apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.16)
Linux Kernel Card Services 3.1.22
options: [pci] [cardbus] [pm]
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:0a.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:02.0
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:0a.1
Yenta IRQ list 02b8, PCI irq10
Socket status: 30000010
Yenta IRQ list 02b8, PCI irq10
Socket status: 30000006
cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0820-0x08ff: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0800-0x080f: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: excluding 0x220-0x22f 0x2f8-0x2ff 0x330-0x337 0x378-0x37f 0x388-0x38f 0x398-0x39f 0x3f8-0x3ff 0x4d0-0x4d7
cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.
cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.
eth0: NE2000 (DL10022 rev 05): io 0x300, irq 3, hw_addr 00:04:5A:A2:9F:60
eth0: found link beat
eth0: autonegotiation complete: 100baseT-FD selected
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 01:17:44 Feb 4 2004
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
PCI: Enabling device 00:07.2 (0004 -> 0005)
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:07.2
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xfce0, IRQ 10
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
usbdevfs: remount parameter error
Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI ISAPNP enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 232M
agpgart: no supported devices found.

ifconfig:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:04:5A:A2:9F:60
inet addr:192.168.1.2 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:2152 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:31 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:293105 (286.2 KiB) TX bytes:9162 (8.9 KiB)
Interrupt:3 Base address:0x300

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:500 (500.0 b) TX bytes:500 (500.0 b)

lsmod:

Module Size Used by Not tainted
autofs4 8756 1 (autoclean)
nls_iso8859-1 2876 0 (autoclean)
nls_cp437 4380 0 (autoclean)
serial 51972 0 (autoclean)
usb-uhci 21868 0 (unused)
usbcore 57824 1 [usb-uhci]
af_packet 13512 0 (autoclean)
pcnet_cs 10532 1
8390 6416 0 [pcnet_cs]
crc32 2832 0 [8390]
ds 6536 2 [pcnet_cs]
yenta_socket 9408 2
pcmcia_core 39712 0 [pcnet_cs ds yenta_socket]
apm 9768 2
rtc 6972 0 (autoclean)
cloop 8740 2

lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (AGP disabled) (rev 03)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64
Memory at <unassigned> (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4M]

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Neomagic Corporation NM2160 [MagicGraph 128XD] (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: Neomagic Corporation MagicGraph 128XD
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 128, IRQ 10
Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=16M]
Memory at fea00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2M]
Memory at fed00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]

00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01) (prog-if 80 [Master])
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64
I/O ports at fcd0 [size=16]

00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 10
I/O ports at fce0 [size=32]

00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 9

00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
Subsystem: Unknown device 0099:0000
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 10
Memory at 12000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=04, sec-latency=176
Memory window 0: 12400000-127ff000 (prefetchable)
Memory window 1: 12800000-12bff000
I/O window 0: 00004000-000040ff
I/O window 1: 00004400-000044ff
16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001

00:0a.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
Subsystem: Unknown device 0099:0000
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 10
Memory at 12001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Bus: primary=00, secondary=05, subordinate=08, sec-latency=176
Memory window 0: 12c00000-12fff000 (prefetchable)
Memory window 1: 13000000-133ff000
I/O window 0: 00004800-000048ff
I/O window 1: 00004c00-00004cff
16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001

That's a lot of stuff! :)

windos_no_thanks
03-19-2004, 08:26 PM
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:04:5A:A2:9F:60
inet addr:192.168.1.2 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:2152 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:31 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:293105 (286.2 KiB) TX bytes:9162 (8.9 KiB)
Interrupt:3 Base address:0x300

Very nice, you get an IP address from some server and the interface is up :-)
This IP address is in the private range so you are probably behind a NAT router but that could be at the ISP end too (some ISPs do shitty things like that and still claim that you have "internet access") Is this the same (or at least the first part, 192.168) address as the box gets when you boot into windows ? Let's see if you can ping the router:
Find out the address of the router, it probably is 192.168.1.1 but it could be something else so let's check:

route -n
I'd assume you get (among others) a line like this:

0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

but if you get something else in the second field of that line use it instead in the next command:

ping 192.168.1.1
It would also be useful to see what you get into /etc/resolv.conf could you copy that to the floppy and post it too ?

Stephen
03-19-2004, 09:33 PM
Also ping 216.239.41.99 (Google) as well if you can reach both and not surf the web then it is the settings in the above mentioned resolv.conf file that is the problem. You would need to go into your windows machine and find the DNS settings (ipconfig for XP IIRC and winipcfg for ME/98/95 in the run dialog) then use sudo gvim /etc/resolv.conf and put in the correct settings in this form.

HappyTux:/home/stephen# cat /etc/resolv.conf
search wolf
nameserver 192.168.1.10
nameserver 192.168.1.34

You should really only need the one nameserver line in the file the search of your domain line is optional at least with my ISP and the second nameserver is there for a backup in case of failure of the first so is good to have if available.

mwdowns
03-20-2004, 05:01 AM
windos_no_thanks:

I could ping the router (192.168.1.0), but I could not ping Google. Also, how do I stop the pinging? It just went on forever...I had to exit the shell to make it stop.

Also, I could not get into "/etc/resolv.conf" I used the "sudo" command and it said, "command not found." But, without the sudo command, it said, "permission denied."

What command should I type to get that info? (I said I was a slow learner! :))

Stephen:

As per the code you gave me, what does the first line mean? "HappyTux: /home/stephen#" I assume is maybe my computer name and user, so I'd put in "Laptop:/home/Matt"?

windos_no_thanks
03-20-2004, 06:24 AM
I could ping the router (192.168.1.0), but I could not ping Google. Also, how do I stop the pinging? It just went on forever...I had to exit the shell to make it stop.

192.168.1.0 is the subnet address, can't be the router. It has to be something from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254, usually the first address which in this case is 192.168.1.1
To stop ping (or anything else running on the command line) press [Ctrl]-c

Also, I could not get into "/etc/resolv.conf" I used the "sudo" command and it said, "command not found." But, without the sudo command, it said, "permission denied."

No, it is just a text file, you can't run it ! You can look at it by saying:

less /etc/resolv.conf

or

cat /etc/resolv.conf

As per the code you gave me, what does the first line mean? "HappyTux: /home/stephen#" I assume is maybe my computer name and user, so I'd put in "Laptop:/home/Matt"?
Nope, that was the command prompt in Stephen's machine, you don't type that at all.

mwdowns
03-20-2004, 11:49 AM
You guys are going to kill me! :?

I was fiddling around with the internet configuration for my desktop computer and noticed that my user name for my connection was different than the one I entered into the "PPPOE/ADSL configuration" tool. So, upon booting back into Knoppix on the laptop and running the tool, lo and behold the internet works!!

I am a complete idiot, and I'm really really sorry for wasting your time. However, please take some solice in the fact that I'm less afraid of the command line :)

I appologize again. m(_ _)m

You can rest assured, though, that I will probably be back here in the future with some new problem to sort out...so you'll know to either avoid the thread I post or first suggest the most simple answer you can think of!! :D

Thank you, windos_no_thanks and Stephen, for your help.

Matt

windos_no_thanks
03-20-2004, 12:42 PM
I was fiddling around with the internet configuration for my desktop computer and noticed that my user name for my connection was different than the one I entered into the "PPPOE/ADSL configuration" tool. So, upon booting back into Knoppix on the laptop and running the tool, lo and behold the internet works!!

I am a complete idiot, and I'm really really sorry for wasting your time. However, please take some solice in the fact that I'm less afraid of the command line :)

Nice that you got it working, I'm sure it wasn't all wasted. Using the command line makes life MUCH easier than having to settle for just the GUI tools once you get used to it. :-D

tak
01-31-2005, 08:22 PM
I ran knoppix off of CD and everything worked including internet. I then erased everything off of HDD. I then installed knoppix. I also installed windows after knoppix. I ran knoppix by inserting boot floppy and knoppix started up but when I tried to connect to internet it couldn't find a connection.

P.S. I am running on a LAN behind a firewall. Could anyone help me?
THANKS