PDA

View Full Version : Various questions

kellinjar
03-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Just installed Knoppix (my first linux install) and I'm running into some issues.
1: Display, I can't find where to change the resolution. When I goto the peripherals section and click display I get a floating x for a cursor and it waits a minute then returns to normal doesn't let me configure it. The card is an 8 mb PCI diamond Speedster (plenty old so knoppix should have info on it)

2: Printer and File Sharing The PC is networked to an Xp home box (whichI'm on now) Printer and file sharing is enabled. How can I access that through knoppix? I need to install a network printer (lexmark z605) and access my GF's backed up docs and photos. I did get internet access working.

3: I think thats it, the only 2 problems I've had thus far. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

firebyrd10
03-13-2004, 04:26 PM
not sure for one but I can answer 2.

to get to your XP type smb://[name of computer] minus []

to confige printer go to knoppix menu then config then printer

kellinjar
03-13-2004, 04:33 PM
New problem..after about an hour of use, the system started getting really slow and choppy. I checked the system info and it said I only had 16 mb of ram left? (of the 128 mb it had) thing was.. I had nothing running..cept the gui... that doesn't make sense at all.

I'm restarting now to see how much RAM I have available at start..
erm odd.. according to this I only have 4 mb of free physical memory available..yet the system is running smooth..anyone have any thoughts on this?

[edit] one other thing, I cannot seem to access my large partition I created on the harddrive. Its about 15.5 gb ext3. The root partition is Reiser so that might cause a problem (I'm not sure though) I tried using qtparted to delete it and remake it as a Reiser partition but everytime I delete it it just leaves it as ext3 and I can't recreate it. And by accessing it I can see it, and click on it, but I can't create any new directories or anything on it.

kellinjar
03-13-2004, 04:36 PM
not sure for one but I can answer 2.

to get to your XP type smb://[name of computer] minus []

to confige printer go to knoppix menu then config then printer

Do I use the name of her comp or my comp?

I tried typing the name of the xp box like this:
brought up root shell and ran smb://M's Comp
all I got was this:
>

what do I do with that?

kellinjar
03-13-2004, 05:16 PM
I am able to cycle through resolutions using ctrl-alt and either + or - key.. however when I do it changes resolutions but does not change the size of the desktop..any idea how I can have my entire desktop scale down to 800x600? I can't seem to find an option for that anywhere.

pulsar
03-13-2004, 07:19 PM
For resolution and other settings try as root: /usr/bin/kxconfig

kellinjar
03-13-2004, 07:44 PM
For resolution and other settings try as root: /usr/bin/kxconfig
well what I mean is the resolution changes but the desktop doesn't resize.so you can actually pan around the desktop..how can I change the physical size of the desktop?

firebyrd10
03-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Yes you do want to type the name of the computer not the user.

Lets say I have a computer call ct1 with a user called ut1 I won't ty[e smb://ut1 but rather smb://ct1

get it?

Stephen
03-13-2004, 09:07 PM
New problem..after about an hour of use, the system started getting really slow and choppy. I checked the system info and it said I only had 16 mb of ram left? (of the 128 mb it had) thing was.. I had nothing running..cept the gui... that doesn't make sense at all.

I'm restarting now to see how much RAM I have available at start..
erm odd.. according to this I only have 4 mb of free physical memory available..yet the system is running smooth..anyone have any thoughts on this?

Linux will use as much memory as it needs and if any is left over then it gets used to cache disk access and things like that so it is not uncommon to see nearly total usage. The important thing to look for is when you see the swap space in use then it is using the disk drive for storage.

HappyTux:/# free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 775648 407288 368360 0 74320 198380
-/+ buffers/cache: 134588 641060
Swap: 257000 0 257000

If you look at this output then you can see the I have roughly 400mb of memory in use and of that about 170mb is buffered and cached so the system itself is only using about 130mb for the actual memory in use.

[edit] one other thing, I cannot seem to access my large partition I created on the harddrive. Its about 15.5 gb ext3. The root partition is Reiser so that might cause a problem (I'm not sure though) I tried using qtparted to delete it and remake it as a Reiser partition but everytime I delete it it just leaves it as ext3 and I can't recreate it. And by accessing it I can see it, and click on it, but I can't create any new directories or anything on it.

That is a permission problem how are you trying to mount it, what commands do you use and what is the line that you have in the /etc/fstab for the partition? You can simply use as root mkfs.reiserfs /dev/hd?? and format the partition with reiser then mount with the suitable options. Replace the ?? with the drive letter and partition number of the partition to be formatted. And QTparted does not IIRC support reiserfs at this moment.

kellinjar
03-13-2004, 10:00 PM
Yes you do want to type the name of the computer not the user.

Lets say I have a computer call ct1 with a user called ut1 I won't ty[e smb://ut1 but rather smb://ct1

get it?

M's Comp is the name of the PC as its listed under Windows XP and how it shows up in the network neighbourhood.
I'll double check it though.

kellinjar
03-13-2004, 10:04 PM
That is a permission problem how are you trying to mount it, what commands do you use and what is the line that you have in the /etc/fstab for the partition? You can simply use as root mkfs.reiserfs /dev/hd?? and format the partition with reiser then mount with the suitable options. Replace the ?? with the drive letter and partition number of the partition to be formatted. And QTparted does not IIRC support reiserfs at this moment.

uhm..hrm ;)
Good question on all of that. All I did was run the knoppix HD install (After partitioning the drive using qtparted) its hda7 I believe. I was just trying to access it through the desktop icon same as I did for the other drive.
I used qtparted to format hda5 as reiserfs (it supports ext2, ext3, reiserfs, xfs..or xtfs whichever that other one is)I was only using the gui..but I also tried going through the shell (using CD) and I could get there but not change anything on the drive.

kellinjar
03-14-2004, 02:29 AM
M's Comp is the name of the PC as its listed under Windows XP and how it shows up in the network neighbourhood.
I'll double check it though.

I did double check, I was using the description not the pc name.. I tried running the command smb://MattsPC (thats the actual name of the xp box) and it just came back saying it couldn't find it..
is there any hope? :)

firebyrd10
03-14-2004, 04:56 AM
Tey typeing all CAPS for hte name. For me that would be smb://HOMEONE for my first PC

kellinjar
03-14-2004, 05:00 AM
nada no such directory. I even booted into root user and changed the smb.conf file to set it to the right work group (saw that on another website somewhere) and then tried running the samba server but that doesn't seem to help/work
when I run it it sits there about 20 seconds saying starting samba server then disappers.

I just rebooted into her knoppix profile and used the konsole to type in all caps no good. Tried the root shell, typed in the root password and the window pops up and closes right away (any idea why that would have happened?)

firebyrd10
03-14-2004, 05:04 AM
1. You don't need the samba server running, thats for sharing your files.
2. You shouldn't need to change the workgroup. I didn't.
3. Try typing smb into knoquer (how do you spell it?)

kellinjar
03-14-2004, 05:11 AM
smb:/ gives me a grey page then the result: unable to find any workgroups in your local network (as an error box)
I know the network works (that pC used to ahve win 2k pro on it and it worked fine)
it MIGHt be my firewall.. I just saw a blocked ocnnection from the PCs ip address on the traffic log..one sec..
changed it to allow all and I get:
internal error
please send a full bu report to....
unknown error condition in stat: success

firebyrd10
03-14-2004, 05:19 AM
Don't type smb:/ jsut type smb://computername in Konqueror

Also try restarting the windows PC, sometimes tey have an annoying habit of not presenting them selvs to the network.

kellinjar
03-14-2004, 05:24 AM
well its late for me, if you have any more ideas, please leave them, I'll check them in the morning and let you know if they worked here's a current summary of the issues i'm having.

My PC
xp home
sygate personal firewall
ICS
network printer
backed up files for fiance

her PC
knoppix on the HD, gets net through my PC as well as printer

issues (in order of importance)
1) Printer sharing - SMB does not seem to be working
2) Root window no longer functions - rebooted as root user and then made some changes to smb.conf file (as per another websites instructions for file and printer sharing with samba and xp)attempted to configure the lisa daemon using the guide, got it configured but it never seemed to work, also changed the permissions of the etc directory to include write permissions for 'group' (as I could not edit the smb.conf file as the knoppix user) returned to knoppix user account to find the root window closing as soon as I open it, and I still can't save files in the etc group (I applied to permissions to all sub directories and files)
3)File sharing - need to retrieve her backed up files off my xp box and put them on her linux box.
4)Desktop woes. Screen at 1024x768. WHen resized using ctrl-alt and either + or -(only method that seems to work) the screen resizes but desktop remains large, effect is similar to panning around an image that is larger then your viewing area (when you reach the edges the desktop scrolls in that direction, to the limit of 1024x768)

any help is always appreciated..working or not I learn something, thanx again!

kellinjar
03-14-2004, 06:03 AM
Don't type smb:/ jsut type smb://computername in Konqueror

Also try restarting the windows PC, sometimes tey have an annoying habit of not presenting them selvs to the network.

Didn't catch that before I wrote that last message ;)
I'll try that and let you know

kellinjar
03-14-2004, 02:11 PM
Just woke up and tried that and I can get in!! :)
now that just leaves teh other 3 problems and I'm all set!
thank you! (of course I can't get the files trasnferred over till I change the write permissions on hda5 and had7 so the knoppix user can write to those drives.. where can I change the permissions of those 2 mounted drives?

CrashedAgain
03-14-2004, 05:21 PM
Filesystem permissions: edit /etc/fstab

Added the following or edit your existing lines:
for your window C drive:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=022 0 0
instead of 'vfat' you will probably have NTFS so put 'ntfs' instead. Or you could enter 'auto' & Linux is supposed to be able to autodetect the FS.
'auto' in the about means automatically mount the FS at boot.
'umask' is the permissions. '022' is read only, normally you do not want to write to your C drive especially if it's NTFS

for a different windows drive:
/dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
Here the umask gives read& write permissions.

You will also have to add the following line to get your usb connections to work.

none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0

If you have installed 'Knoppix mode', Knoppix will reset your filesystem mounts to default values with each boot up, so you may have to add a script to undo what it has done. (Or use 'Debian mode' install)

kellinjar
03-14-2004, 07:37 PM
Windows and knoppix aren't on the same machine..2 different boxes..
the knoppix box is using reiserfs for hda5 and ext3 for hda7 ( I would like to know how to change hda7 to reiserfs though)

windos_no_thanks
03-14-2004, 07:49 PM
the knoppix box is using reiserfs for hda5 and ext3 for hda7 ( I would like to know how to change hda7 to reiserfs though)
Copy all stuff you want to save from hda7 somewhere else and turn off any services that might be using it then do:

umount /dev/hda7
mkreiserfs /dev/hda7

Then edit the line for hda7 in /etc/fstab (if you have a line for it there), replace ext3 with reiserfs.
After that you should be able to mount it again.

kellinjar
03-14-2004, 08:00 PM
well hda7 is empty right now. The user has no permission to write to it.
And no permission to write to hda5 (that contains root, etc)
I'll go into root though and make those changes (for the file system, and see if I can figure out that permission so the user can save and edit stuff now)
Now that I can see the XP box though via smb:// in konqueror I still need to set up the network printer (knoppix box will get the printer from xp)
I'll scroll back though see if I can't find the directions for that htouhg

kellinjar
03-14-2004, 09:12 PM
mmkay I went to root changed permissions the user can now write to hda7 (and its reiserfs) and I believe write to the etc directory
So i'm back to the Printer problem
I had tried to set up it upyesterday as a CUPS printer.
This didn't work
WHen I try to goto knopppix configure - printer I get:
configure printers window with spinning hourglass...some 20 seconds later I get 'unable to starts cups server' hit okay and the window closes and thats it.
and I still can't get the root shell to open in the users account. It was before but since I went to root and made changes and came back, it just opens quickly and closes.

Stephen
03-14-2004, 10:10 PM
mmkay I went to root changed permissions the user can now write to hda7 (and its reiserfs) and I believe write to the etc directory
So i'm back to the Printer problem
I had tried to set up it upyesterday as a CUPS printer.
This didn't work
WHen I try to goto knopppix configure - printer I get:
configure printers window with spinning hourglass...some 20 seconds later I get 'unable to starts cups server' hit okay and the window closes and thats it.
and I still can't get the root shell to open in the users account. It was before but since I went to root and made changes and came back, it just opens quickly and closes.

Try /etc/init.d/cupsys start as root then configure and you may want to go to http://www.linuxprinting.org and check on the support for your printer and see the instructions for setting it up with cups.