PDA

View Full Version : Problems using Knoppix with a Seagate 68 Gbyte DRive

lederman
03-13-2004, 08:09 PM
I am using Knoppix 3.3 on a system with an 8 GByte SCSI drive that is starting to fail so I am trying to replace this drive with an 68 GByte drive. When I try to boot from the CD to do a new hard disk install it gets as far as "scanning hard disk partitions reading /etc/fstab" or something like that and reboots. I've tried partitioning the disk using fdisk and xfdisk and done low level SCSI formatting and testing. Any suggestions? Thanks.

lederman
03-15-2004, 04:54 AM
I finally booted the system off the 8 Gbyte drive and ran the hard disk install on the 68 Gbyte drive, but I was unable to set up more than a 12 Gbyte partition. I'll eventually try to figure out what the problem is, but for the time being I happy to have a working system again. And if you find yourselves in a similar position, I think you should be too. And not spend the two days on it that I did. Good luck.

Howard
03-16-2004, 11:36 PM
I may be completely wrong, I'm no expert!, but your problem sounds similar to the one I just got. i.e. I upgraded to a much bigger disk than the one originally supplied with my PC. The problem was that the bios on the motherboard was unable to "see" all of the new disk. I would suggest you look at the mobo. manufacturers site and also the disk manufacturers site for their help in resolving your problem.

BTW I fixed my problem with a new PCI controller, in addition to upgrading the bios.

Howard