PDA

View Full Version : Modify "Look and Feel": Toolbars, Buttons, Etc.?

unamiccia
03-13-2004, 10:39 PM
This is one of those questions where I'm sure the answers would be easy to find if I only knew the right keywords . . .

I've just replaced my old Knoppix 3.2 hdd install with the Knoppix 3.3 of February 16, 2004. Installation and configuration have been smooth, with one exception -- I can't figure out how to abandon some new X "look and feel" settings that I dislike. I'm pretty sure they're X settings because I can alter themes, icon sets, etc. in both KDE and iceWM without fixing what bugs me, which is that selection buttons on toolbars and the toolbars themselves are rounded, puffy, and pillowlike (as if making them look thick and soft will make it more comfortable to select them?).

I think it makes them harder to see. Here's a couple of screenshots (http://www.americanstate.org/test/goofybuttons.html) of what I'm talking about.

What configuration option(s) should I explore to make these "widgets" (right word?) look plainer? Thanks for any help!

mightydavefish
03-13-2004, 10:49 PM
The link to your screenshots doesn't work, so it's hard to know what you mean.
This sounds like it might be a Styles issue, which is under the Appearances>Styles section of the Control Center. Again, it's hard to say without seeing what you are talking about. Fix your link and I'll try to help.

unamiccia
03-13-2004, 11:12 PM
That was a mighty quick reply! The page went up a few minutes after the forum post (I wanted to put a link to this thread on the page). It's there now.

I've definitely spent a lot of time in Appearances --> Styles without finding an answer. And I'm not sure how or why altering KDE styles would affect how things look over in iceWM.

What calls the default set of widgets across X Windows for Knoppix?

unamiccia
03-16-2004, 06:38 AM
Problem solved! It's complicated; the best explanation is here (http://www.americanstate.org/test/goofybuttons.html).

Basically, a GTK theme called Geramik was bossing Knoppix around and imposing its ugly view of what buttons should look like on applications built with GTK. (Check that link above if all of this is gibberish.)

So you can liberate Knoppix 3.3 from Geramik. Go look to find out how.