PDA

View Full Version : Diskonkey Support

SenorLoco
02-21-2003, 02:18 AM
Hi, Im having troubles getting my diskonkey usb drive to work. I can get the drive mounted using 'mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbkey' and I can see the drive and everything but I can't write to it. Any help would be great!!!

Thanks,
SenorLoco

Dave_Bechtel
02-21-2003, 06:38 AM
--Post results of ' fdisk -l ' and ' mount ' when you have the USB drive mounted. (You are doing the mount cmd as root, right?)

Hi, Im having troubles getting my diskonkey usb drive to work. I can get the drive mounted using 'mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbkey' and I can see the drive and everything but I can't write to it. Any help would be great!!!

Thanks,
SenorLoco

ggu
02-21-2003, 10:08 AM
The problem is that the DiskOnKey get's mounted read-only. It happens also to my USB Stick
using Mandrake. I resolved the issue applying a patch that simple mounts the stick r/w, but
patching the running Koppix kernel is a bit difficult.
I heard that there is a firmware upgrade for the DiskOnKey out there that solves this problem,
but I was not able to find it. If you do, let me know.

Georg

SenorLoco
02-21-2003, 07:48 PM
alright I've been toying around with things alittle (since Im no linux expert) but I've found that I can write to the diskonkey through a root shell...so it can't be a problem with firmware....just something not setup right...any thoughts?

RockMumbles
02-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Do a cat /etc/fstab with your diskonkey mounted.

you should see entries like this (for my floppy):
device------mount-----type------options---------------------dump--pass
/dev/fd0---/floppy-----vfat-----defaults,user,exec,rw------0------0

The important part is the options, if you have nouser in the options, unmount your device, edit your /etc/fstab file and change nouser to user, if user isn't in the options put it in, then save your changes and the remount your device.

Now see if it works.

The other thing may be permissions on the actual device used by your diskonkey, if your fstab looks OK, then do an ls-al /dev/your-device you should see something like:

brwxrwxrwx &nbsp 1 &nbsp root &nbsp root &nbsp 11 Feb 13 15:22 &nbsp /dev/your-device

Ignore the first letter, make sure the permissions are at least: ?rw-rw-rw- so that all users and groups can read or write to that device.

HTH

rock