PDA

View Full Version : About using KNOPPIX to boot a WinXP Pro system...

KALIROB2k3
03-14-2004, 02:13 PM
:( Well, this is a long one hehe, but heres my question. I have a system that a year ago stopped being able to boot do to issues with a bad WinXP install. I understand I could format but even that is complicated since I cant get to a command promt when XP is trying to boot.
But more importantly I havent formated because theres files on the system I wish to retrive before I attempt a format. I have a USB hard drive, and by the slim chance it runs on Linux do you believe I could retrieve the files using this disk to boot up?
I know very little about Linux, but I also am starting to have little faith in Windows as time goes on heh. So I am willing to try anything as long as I can get these files off the system. :) Thank you for any responses or comments you can give on this.
Rob

Markus
03-14-2004, 02:20 PM
Easiest way to copy over the files would be to plug in the HD from your non-bootable computer as a slave into another comp.
If you have 2 boxes, which your post implies, you can have a look at another post with the subject "various questions" just a couple of posts down, or up :) to do it via samba.
And yes, if knoppix recognises your USB HD, you can use it.

ashyx
03-14-2004, 03:44 PM
To get to a command prompt all you have to do is either put in a Win 98/ME/XP floppy and boot or put in your Windows 98/ME/XP CD and set your BIOS to boot from the CDROM.

If you want to save your files and rescue the Windows installation just simply re-install XP over the existing installation without formatting.

It will replace all the necessary system files, but won't touch your personal files after that Windows XP should boot as normal.