PDA

View Full Version : How can I uninstall xlibmesa-gl?

Padautz
03-14-2004, 06:11 PM
Hi folks,

I want to install a new graphics driver for my ATI Radeon 9600.
But when I try to install the Driver provided by the ATI support site (fglrx-4.3.0-3.7.6.i386.rpm converted to a .deb file with alien) kpackage complains about libGL.so.1.2 that is also in xlibmesa-gl.

So I decided to uninstall xlibmesa-gl because I thougt it is not needed and the ATI driver will provide its own libGL. But kpackage (I also tried synaptic) lists up a lot of packages (~400MB) that have to be deinstalled.

A lot of these packages should IMHO not be related to openGL (ex.: kedit!). How can that be - and how can I deinstall just that mesa-GL library? (without wiping nearly the whole system ;-)

Or is there another way installing that driver?

My system:
- Intel P4 3.06GHz, 512MB
- ATI Radeon 9600, 128 MB
- 60GB
- Knoppix HD-Installation (debian-style)

thank you very much,
Padautz

Silver_Seagull
03-15-2004, 03:34 AM
I'm definitely NOT an expert, but can't you force the upgrade?

Padautz
03-15-2004, 10:37 AM
As far as I can see there is no kind of "force" button in kpackage. It just gives out that error message ("package contains libGL.so.1.2 already in xlibmesa-gl") and stops.

Perhaps there is another tool that can do that?
OK. it seems I have to do some research...

I can understand, that this could be a problem - mesaGL will no longer work if some of its libs are overwritten. On the other hand, I don't need it anymore if the new graphics driver provides openGL.

thank you for your reply,
Padautz

zz9pluralzalpha
03-17-2004, 08:58 PM
dpkg -force-overwrite
is what you want, though it may break things. Basically, I think you should be OK, provided you keep mesa-gl even though you're not using it :roll: . I have NVidia not ATI though, so I'm no expert.

Padautz
03-18-2004, 07:10 PM
Thank you!
The --force-overwrite did work.

Now I have to recompile the driver. But obviously my knoppix CD (latest c't edition) does not contain the kernel sources. OK - I could get them by downloading from the web. But perhaps it would be better to get a 'full' linux distribution.

I have NVidia not ATI though, [...].
Lucky guy! :)