PDA

View Full Version : 4 Problemz> AC97, printer, ntfs, winmodem

vratnik
03-14-2004, 08:00 PM
Hi guyz. I got some problemz. [ !NEWBIE! ]

problem 1: I got onboard sound Realtek AC'97. doesn't work, of corz. It worked when knoppix booted from cd. but now i have knoppix on hd and my sound doesnt work. get message something like dev/dsp doesnt xist or sthn. Someone said to run alsa-autoconfig but there's no file with such or similar name.

problem 2: cannot add printer. Simply add printer item is grayish and unclickable. what da heck???

problem 3: after mounting win partitionz (ntfs), i don't get all filez and dirz!!! i think that i miss dirz named with charz like ?????ýáíéäúô???? and so on.
what da heck???

problem 4: pci modem... ESS ES56T-PI Data Fax Modem. I Press Query modem. I get > Initializing modem, modem ready... Then I get some ATsomething and empty linez next2it. Of corz, connection doesn't work.

thx 4 help

Stephen
03-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Hi guyz. I got some problemz. [ !NEWBIE! ]

problem 1: I got onboard sound Realtek AC'97. doesn't work, of corz. It worked when knoppix booted from cd. but now i have knoppix on hd and my sound doesnt work. get message something like dev/dsp doesnt xist or sthn. Someone said to run alsa-autoconfig but there's no file with such or similar name.

As root /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig then edit the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and put aumix -w 75 -v 75 near the bottom of the file for the levels to be set on boot.

problem 2: cannot add printer. Simply add printer item is grayish and unclickable. what da heck???

Again as root /etc/init.d/cupsys start then try to configure and you may want to go to http://www.linuxprinting.org/ and see about the support for the printer and instructions for cups.

problem 3: after mounting win partitionz (ntfs), i don't get all filez and dirz!!! i think that i miss dirz named with charz like ?????ýáíéäúô???? and so on.
what da heck???

That looks like an encoding problem with the character set being used I believe there is an encoding setting that you can use in the fstab. I have zero experience with that so you should probably Google on it unless someone else here knows the solution.

problem 4: pci modem... ESS ES56T-PI Data Fax Modem. I Press Query modem. I get > Initializing modem, modem ready... Then I get some ATsomething and empty linez next2it. Of corz, connection doesn't work.

thx 4 help

Never setup a modem in Linux only net connections so cannot be of any help.

vratnik
03-16-2004, 08:14 PM
ok but there's no alsa-autoconfig or any alsa-named file. I waz lookin 4 it on the whole disk, not only /etc/init.d
so there must b another solution.

s far s my printer iz concerned, the problem iz that during the installation it asked whether 2 run @ startup samba, graphical login, and other blahs, including cupsd, which should b some printing server or sthn like thiz. I said NO to all of these serverz. So now i have 2 get cupsd 2 start with the system. i added cupsys (cupsys b-coz there's no other file named cups-like) in some v-sys init editor i added cupsys in2 runlevel 5 but no sux-ass (success!)

Markus
03-16-2004, 09:18 PM
Here's what I did as root to get cupsys to run on startup:

update-rc.d cupsys defaults 80