PDA

View Full Version : SuSE escapee needs help!

fingers99
02-21-2003, 04:16 AM
I'm running the Debian created by using the install to hard drive script and Knoppix 3.1. Seems to have gone reasonably well except:

Lilo. Simply didn't work. I'll try and podge together a lilo.conf on my SuSE drive: currently the only way I can get into Knoppix/Debian is through the SuSE install CD!

Internet. kppp exits with "The pppd daemon died unexpectedly!
Exit status: 4" which reads:

"4 The kernel does not support PPP, for example, the PPP kernel
driver is not included or cannot be loaded."

Can this be right?

I don't like kppp and would play with wvdial or kinternet (if I can find the source/ a Deb) but this looks very much like an error from pppd itself.

Sound.I can't get any sound. I'm running a KT3 Via Ultra board with the AC97 on board sound. SuSE 8.0 (with an earlier kernel!) picks this up just fine and loads the via 8233 driver. The RedHat configuration tool won't allow me to load what looks like the appropriate module.

Any ideas greatly appreciated. I want to be free of SuSE and learning the wonders of apt!

:wink:

David Douthitt
02-21-2003, 04:03 PM
Internet. kppp exits with "The pppd daemon died unexpectedly!
Exit status: 4" which reads:

"4 The kernel does not support PPP, for example, the PPP kernel
driver is not included or cannot be loaded."

Can this be right?

Yes. The kernel needs PPP support. Either insert the module using modprobe ("modprobe ppp") or rebuild the kernel with PPP and SLIP support either built-in or as modules.

Any ideas greatly appreciated. I want to be free of SuSE and learning the wonders of apt!

I started using SuSE instead of Red Hat - and I've not been disappointed at all. And of course, there's apt-rpm (NICE!). I use apt-rpm everywhere now. Now if I could just get my Knoppix HD install to use RPM.... :-)

niki2002
02-21-2003, 04:57 PM
install debian from woody unofficial netinst CD, copy knoppix over it.
dominique

fingers99
02-21-2003, 07:14 PM
install debian from woody unofficial netinst CD, copy knoppix over it.
dominique

Interesting, but sounds like an incredibly long winded way of doing things. I'm going Debian via Knoppix for now only because it looked (fna, fna) as though it'd be quicker than Gentoo (to install, that is).

fingers99
02-21-2003, 07:22 PM
The kernel needs PPP support. Either insert the module using modprobe ("modprobe ppp") or rebuild the kernel with PPP and SLIP support either built-in or as modules.

Yes, looks like I'm going to have to rebuild the kernel for sound anyway: there are no Debian modules for the via8233 and the 20 series kernel (which is pretty damn odd: what's the point of having a bleeding edge kernel with stone age sound drivers?). Such is life.

I started using SuSE instead of Red Hat - and I've not been disappointed at all.

I used to really rate SuSE until 8.0 came out and virtually nothing worked: no proper recognition for combo drives, Lilo instead of Grub, no script to set up ISA modems and the whole "we don't really care" attitude since they stopped being a privately owned firm. So, I thought, with this level of support I may as well go Debian or Gentoo.[/quote]

Buttersoft
02-27-2003, 12:21 PM
Yes me too, changed from Suse 8, to Knoppix....was amazed at the live-cd and the way everything was recognised and set up within minutes. Tried the hd install, same result. Knoppix rocks. Finally something is here to wipe windows completely. GREAT.

myelocyte
02-27-2003, 03:09 PM
If you are starting your Linux throw SuSE CD because your Lilo doesn't install then you probably don't have ppp support in your kernel because that.
The kernel used to install or recover SuSE is not a full functional kernel. When you solve your lilo problem and boot using a regular (with modules) kernel build your ppp problem should be solved.

I've been using SuSE since version 5.3 and I' m still using it and I like it.
But now there's knoppix. The boot CD is the best tool I've ever had as a Network Administrator. It has a wonderfull selections of packages !!!
Now I use SuSE 7.3 at my home desktop and knoppix 3.1 hd intalled at my laptop.