PDA

View Full Version : How to save Knoppix on 780meg partition and boot from HD

nvgringo
03-15-2004, 05:48 AM
1.) I am fairly new to Linux
2.)This worked on my computer don't know about yours
3.)This is not my work. Just a combination of other peoples guides that worked for me
3.) If there is someone out there who can improve on this method please by all means do so.

Part1 Partition your hard drive
I am assuming that you are using an old machine with a small hard drive, and Knoppix 3.4 or(3.3) will be the only OS. If you have the space you should use knoppix-installer.
1.)Boot the knoppix cd. If you are reading this and are installing 3.4 when the penguin picture comes up you will need to type Knoppix lang=us The = on the German keyboard is the close parenthesis over the 0. If you are using 3.3 you likely already have the English version.
2.)Click on the penguin next to the big K on the bottom left.
3.)Open root shell
4.)Type in cfdisk
5.)OK this is the part where you delete everything on your hard drive. If you do not to lose every single file on this hard drive forever to install Knoppix close the root window. If you want to install Knoppix delete all of the partitions on the drive. Use the keyboard arrows to select your choices.
6.)Create a swap partition. They say this should be twice the size of your ram. For a small drive use between 250 and 500 meg. The type should default to linux swap so you wont need to worry about the type.
7.)Create the Knoppix partition. Down arrow to the empty space. Select new. Even though the disk is 700 meg I have not had any luck installing on anything smaller than 780 meg. So create the 780 meg partition make sure the type is linux and this partition should be bootable.
8.)Create a partition for your encrypted home. Again anything larger than 350 megs has not worked for me. So make a 350 meg partition make sure the type is Linux.
9.)Make whatever is left a Linux partition.
10.)Select write to disk. Then select quit. From the prompt type reboot. Restart remember to change the language to English when it starts up again.

Part2 Getting Knoppix from the cd to you hard drive
1.)Open the root shell again
2.)Type in the following commands ?#? means new command do not type the # symbol. I found is useful to highlight the commands here then go to the root shell and press down on the center button to paste the command
# mke2fs -i 99999 /dev/hda2
# tune2fs -j -c 0 -i 0 /dev/hda2
# mkdir /z
# mount /dev/hda2 /z

# cp -r /cdrom/* /z This one will take a long time
# mkdir /y
# mount -oloop /cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img
#cp /y/* /z
# cp /etc/lilo.conf /z
# vi /z/lilo.conf

Part3 Setting up Lilo boot manager to start your computer without the cd
1.)You should be looking at a black screen with different colored letters. Put your mouse off to the side. You wont need it here.
2.)Press the letter i This will put you in the insert mode. Scroll down to the red letters with the down arrow key. Insert a # in front of the first red letter. All of the letter should turn blue.
3.)Scroll down until you find the line ?image=? make sure that says image= /z/vmlinuz
4.)Include the following commands in append= lang=us fromhd=/dev/hda2 config=scan home=scan separate cheat code with a space. I had to include nodma. REMOVE vga=791
5.)Change read-write to read only
6.)In the indented section where it says label=knoppix pres enter and type inird= /z/miniroot.gz. The letters should turn yellow. If the letters are highlighted red you put this command in the wrong place.
7.)Make sure it says root=/dev/hda2
8.)Press the escape key.
9.)Hold down the shift key and press the z key twice
10.)You should now be back at the root shell

Step 4 Two root shell commands to tell the bootloader how to boot Knoppix
1.)# ln -sf /z/boot/ /
2.)# lilo -C /z/lilo.conf
3.)You should get the confirmation *knoppix added

Step 5 reboot

Popovn
03-17-2004, 03:40 PM
config=scan home=scan
are This codes garantee the autosave home|config on shutdown?

Your instruction is very simply and functional :) !!
May you write instructioòû for easy adding some-thing in compressed OS file (installed in home progs)[or/and deleting]?

nvgringo
03-17-2004, 04:17 PM
If you use the encryipted home directory your files should autosave. You have to set up your home directory. It is one of the options on the penguin icon on the lower left. I do not garantee anything. If you change your settings you will have to remember to save those again the option isone of the options on the penguin icon is .
There is a scipt for adding a few programs in the 3.4 version like nvidia driversand a couple of games. Also look at Klik for adding other programs.

http://klik.berlios.de/

Popovn
03-17-2004, 05:34 PM
# mount -oloop /cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img

must be? :
# mount -o loop /cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img /y

5.)Change read-write to read only

must be? :
5.)Change read-write to read-only

6.)In the indented section where it says label=knoppix pres enter and type inird= /z/miniroot.gz. The letters should turn yellow. If the letters are highlighted red you put this command in the wrong place.

Ihadnt found any place, where was "right place" :(
my string - allways rad :(

1.)# ln -sf /z/boot/ /

I dont understand this step - can any-bady axplane?

2.)# lilo -C /z/lilo.conf
3.)You should get the confirmation *knoppix added

I see :

Fatal: creat boot/map~: No such file or directory

Can you compare your instruction and original hdBasedHoTo(1.2 chapter)?
And write correct?

Thanks.

nvgringo
03-17-2004, 05:59 PM
You are correct on the two errors. :oops: You must be looking at the same guides that I used. As far as where to put inird= /z/miniroot.gz I remember that it was in an indented section. I will verify and post in a few hours.

Popovn
03-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Can you to redoing all actions by your instructions on machine with 1 CD and 1 HD ?
I think youll found not only thes mistakes...
Check you advices pls....

nvgringo
03-17-2004, 10:35 PM
I would rather not format my
hard drive and start over on an install that works. If thats what it takes to get these instructions to work I'll do it. But lets start by making sure that LILO is configured corectly on your machine. I will post LILO.conf in a little while and we can go from there. If it works I will repost the process to the forum.
Sorry this didn't work for you first try

nvgringo
03-18-2004, 12:46 AM
Here is a copy of the lines not commented out And the one that needed commented out. Let me know if this helps. Remember I am new to this too. But if I can get it working I'm sure that you can too. javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

# Remove this line when you are done configuring. -KK
#"! Please edit /etc/lilo.conf before running lilo!"

lba32

boot=/dev/hda

install=/boot/boot-menu.b
backup=/dev/null

map=/boot/map

timeout=100

vga=normal

default=Knoppix

image=/z/vmlinuz
append="lang=en fromhd config=scan home=scan noeject noprompt apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix"

root=/dev/hda2
label=Knoppix
read-only
initrd=/z/miniroot.gz :wink: :wink:

nvgringo
03-18-2004, 12:53 AM
initrd=/z/miniroot.gz is directly under read-only the letters initrd are yellow the = is purple and /z/miniroot.gz the letters are red.

Popovn
03-18-2004, 04:45 PM
HI
Id done HdBased work copy of knoppix!!

Bat i have anover problem - after start "KDE" - its "lagging" - my mouse dont move "smoothly"....
Booting time from HD is mach more then from CD :(..(its only for "startx")..
Im newbie and dont know what i must do in that situation ...

May it be becose i have swap-partition on this HD too ?

nvgringo
03-18-2004, 10:03 PM
I am glad that you managed to get the install done. I'm glad that I could help someone else. As far as it being slow I just dont know. That did not happen on my computer. The new version of 3.4 is supposed to be coming out in the next few days. Maybe you could start over with that version. I think it has a script for restarting X. The 3.4ct version did. You might be able to tweak some settings and restart X. When you do get it going be sure to check out the Klik web page. You can download programs that will work on your install. They will save to your home directory if you set one up so they will save when you reboot