PDA

View Full Version : USB Thumb Drive- Saving Settings

SilverX
03-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Hey,

Just wondering if there is anyway to save knoppix settings from a CD boot onto a USB thumb drive (128mb),

cheers, please get back to me its pretty important!

SilverX

firebyrd10
03-16-2004, 12:56 AM
sure there is! :D

I do it also (64 mb) only along with the config I created a persistent home directory that way I can bring my files and favorites along with me.

Info on how to do it is in forum, just search for it. I've answered these questions before so I know there is atleast one with what you need.

SilverX
03-16-2004, 09:18 AM
ah cheesr for that i will have a look!

SilverX
03-16-2004, 07:35 PM
cant find any helpful infomation :( sorry can you guide me any more?

firebyrd10
03-16-2004, 07:43 PM
really? Nothing? :?

Ok then,

To save your settings you want to go to the knoppix menu (has the knoppix Tux on it) go to configure then click save configuration. Pick your usb drive (its most likely going to be /dev/sda1 but you might want to check) then pick want you want to save (I wouldn't suggest saving desktop items though)

To create a persistant Home directory do the same but instead of clicking save configuration, click make persistent home (or something to that extent) Once again pick the USB drive. Next it should give you an option to completely format the drive or to create a .img file (or once again something to that extent) Click the img file one then select a size that you want the directory to be (try and leave a few megs to spare, that way you can transfer files with a windows computer also) The next is completely optional. It will ask you if you want to encrypt the data using a long password. But be warned, when they say long they mean long as in at least 20 characters.

Ok then now thats thats done you want to do a restart.

when you get to the main menu type

knoppix config=scan home=scan (you could also use config=/dev/sda1 home=/dev/sda1 if scan isn't working for you (replace sda1 with what ever you have))

knoppix should then boot accordingly and when you save files to you home directory it should be saved to your USB drive. Just make sure you shutdown the computer correctly.

I think thats about it.

SilverX
03-18-2004, 08:24 PM
thank you, i will let you know how this works out ;)