PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Satellite 335CDS

moorer2k
03-17-2004, 04:41 AM
I have an older laptop, 260mhz 78mb RAM. I know that it can be capable of running just the text mode. There is a problem that I've been having after I have installed to the HDD. I have a USB hub hooked into the available USB port, which provides 4 more, then that is hooked to my cable modem for internet access. When I have this plugged in, I enter knoppix 2 mode, it detects 640x480 which is good. But, when it errors out about the USB device, it completely ruins being able to see the command line properly because for some reason it places the errors infront of the autoconfiguring devices, messing up the len view for the cmd prompt. Is there a way to get around that? It even happens when I am at cmd prompt, everything is visible, then I plug it back in.. Argh..

The error is:

insmod: insmod: a module named acm already exists
insmod: insmod: insmod/lib/modules/2.4.21-xfs/kernel/drivers/usb/acm.o failed
insmod: insmod: insmod acm failed

The HDD install is settings itself to 1024x768 which is way to much for this monitor. How would I be able to make it autodetect the monitor and everything else, like it does when you boot from the CD? Because when I boot from the CD, it picks up the correct mode just fine. I have tried things like screen=640x480 and fbset etc. none of them have worked.

BTW, if you recommend a different version of linux/unix for this laptop, by all means tell me.. Thanks..

NM.. it always screws up on the display..

steven.rogers
03-17-2004, 02:53 PM
I am also using an old Toshiba laptop ( Tecra 510 CDT) with 32mb ram. Despite the shortage of RAM I can use the full GUI (with a swap file).

I need to boot from a floppy ... that works. It's a bit slow but that's ok. I'm not in a hurry.

The screen resolution is bad though. I can't seem to find a control panel (like in Windows) for adjusting it.