PDA

View Full Version : how to install AIM? Please help

unknown_3
03-17-2004, 06:42 AM
i am new to this linux thing, and i need help install AIM. Please help. THank you

Markus
03-17-2004, 09:37 AM
Knoppix has GAIM which AFAIK is compatible with AIM.

unknown_3
03-17-2004, 05:21 PM
thank u that will work

c123
03-17-2004, 06:33 PM
GAIM is great for all the networks I know of except Yahoo (still cannot connect as Yahoo recently changed their protocol *again*; only way I know of connecting to the Yahoo network is using the official Yahoo client (they offer a .deb :))).

Gaim should be in the menu, otherwise click a shell and type
gaim & (the & backgrounds the app; you can then close the shell without closing Gaim).

Stephen
03-17-2004, 09:53 PM
GAIM is great for all the networks I know of except Yahoo (still cannot connect as Yahoo recently changed their protocol *again*; only way I know of connecting to the Yahoo network is using the official Yahoo client (they offer a .deb :))).

Kopete connects to both Yahoo and MSN with no problems.

champagnemojo
03-17-2004, 11:22 PM
For those of you with hddinstalls of Knoppix, a user named Linuxwhore posted a link on the forums at sourceforge to some patched GAIMs he's built (http://www.linuxwhore.com/gaim/). If you use alien on the Fedora Core 1 rpm it installs great into Knoppix and yahoo works.

c123
03-18-2004, 11:53 AM
arg, then I installed that software from satan (Ymessenger) for nothing? the problem is that the gf will now demand ymessnger on the windows machien (I will use only Gaim or Miranda on windows).

damn, should have looked into kopete :(
double-damn, do I try to install the modded gaim or just get kopete? decisions, decisions...

cheers everyone.

c123
03-18-2004, 07:35 PM
just tried to install kopete. 'apt-get install kopete' wouldn't work:

# apt-get install kopete
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
kopete: Depends: kdelibs4 (>= 4:3.2.1) but 4:3.1.5-1 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

I guess that was because I still had some 'stable' sources listed in my sources.list; after comenting them out I tried again using the command 'apt-get -t unstable install kopete' (I got that command from the apt-get sticky in the hard drive installs forum). That seemed to go OK until

...lots more lines like next one...
/var/cache/apt/archives/pm-dev_4.3.0-6_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

What do I do next? Thanks :)

BTW I'm currently (when I'm trying to install kopete) using IceWM; I am also interested in upgrading to KDE 3.2.x (don't know if that makes installing kopete easier).