PDA

View Full Version : Acessing The Net With knoppixx-std

warTUX
03-17-2004, 11:08 AM
Ok, Quick question can somebody help me as far as getting on the utilizing knoppix-std.
On windows i am running dsl.
Is there any way possible for me to use my dsl connection for knoppixx-std.
I'm not using "Ethernet" hook up.
I'm using "Usb" hook up for my dsl modem.
Can anyone asist me?
Thanks.
- Tux

stukennedyuk
03-17-2004, 08:58 PM
internet - dsl modem - USB port of PC running ICS on the ethernet port - from ethernet port - crossed ethernet cable - PC running knoppix

Does that sound right? start ICS running on the unused ethernet port and connect the knoppix PC with a crossed ethernet cable. When it boots it will work without having to do any special.

A crossed cable is needed as you are directly connecting the two PC ethernet ports together. They are very inexpensive.

Hope this is okay.

warTUX
03-17-2004, 09:34 PM
See the thing is though.
I have knoppixx and windows on the same drive.
Is there any way to share my dsl connection with knoppixx that I use for windows?
More info: I.E. I've got knoppixx-std on bootable disc ok. Now I boot it up.
My dsl doesn't work anymore.
Now when I take the disc out and run windows it works again.
So is there a solution to get my knoppix to regconize that I got a dsl modem and utilize to access the internet.
Because If I get my knoppixx running i'm converting completely over to linux.

stukennedyuk
03-17-2004, 09:56 PM
Oh I get it!

Make a note of all the TCP/IP settings that windows uses to work with DSL, IP, subnet mask and all that sort of stuff, then when you are booted back into knoppix, use netcardconfig and fill those values in as it prompts you. If it doesn't prompt you, then the knoppix autodetect hasn't recognised your DSL connection, I have no experience of DSL.

The internet box I have is connected to USB and knoppix just basically worked, I think this is because of a module called CDCEther

Stu.....

warTUX
03-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Ok so I need that moduler "CDCEther" to regconize that I have a dsl connection.
And accessing this "netcardconfig" option is it the start menu or something.
Ok and i'll try and make this the last option.
In windows and as far my tcp/ip/netmask/subnet/and ip options I just copy of those files or write trhem on a peice of paper and fill them in this "netcardconfig" option. So Do I retrieve all my windows info from "ipconfig" in the dos command prompt?

warTUX
03-17-2004, 10:26 PM
Do you think I need to download drivers on a floppy disc and then open up knoppixx and install the drivers?

stukennedyuk
03-17-2004, 10:41 PM
Write the settings down on a piece of paper and fill them in netcardconfig. Not sure about 'ipconig' but it's worth a try!

'netcardconfig' is the command that you type at the prompt in a console (same sort of thing as the 'DOS prompt' that you mentioned, but for Linux), or you can find it in the KDE menu under 'KNOPPIX' and then 'network/internet' then 'network card configuration'

Good Luck!

warTUX
03-17-2004, 11:24 PM
Ok. I tried the whole "netcardconfig" approach.
And it said ethernatcard not found.
So does it mean, that I need an ethernet card.
Because threw my dsl connection.
I don't use ethernet I use "usb"

stukennedyuk
03-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Have a look at the DSL modem and note it's make and model, e.g. "Alcatel". When you have this, do a search on the forum and see if anyone else is using this modem and see what they needed to do to get it working, there is a very good chance someone else has done what you are trying to do before.

If that doesn't help, try google, I'm sure you have a good chance of getting it to work.

Cheers, Stuart.....