PDA

View Full Version : Looking for knoppix that fits on 80mm CD @ 185mb

freeballer
02-21-2003, 07:49 PM
looking for a knoppix distro that has kde 3, preferably3.1, with mozilla, xchat, gaim, yahoo messenger, mplayer/xine, xmms, gftp, kmail, gimp, and I'd really love to have openoffice that will fit completely on a 3mm CD. I have several 185mb ones and two 210mb..... Is this possible and/or has anybody make one already?
I really love knoppix but I find that there is way to much on the CD, morphix is pretty good idea but still not small enough, I've also tried knoppix lite which is another great distribution but I'd like a few added programs that weren't included in the distribution, or replaced by some others.... Especically mozilla and yahoo messenger cause I have yet to have a single linux clone connect to the network.
I'm not trying to find an all in one, just something that will get me away from windows no matter where I am, normal functionality like picture viewing (preferably through kwickshow), compressed files (ark), acrobat, vnc, ssh, jpilot/pilot-link (compatible with OS 4 would be great), a newsgroup reader (with compatability like pan)

Can somebody help me, I'm pretty sure I can't remaster the CD cause I'm a complete newbie and would just end up bugging the crap out of you if there are any problems...

And just one question, is debian made a way that makes it easier to fit onto CD, or can a distribution say Redhat be used to make one as well?

Flibble
02-22-2003, 01:49 PM
Check out Morphix.
You wil be able to squeeze the base + lightGUI on there.

http://www.morphix.org

Surprised Alextreme hasn't posted to this thread by now ;>

Alextreme
02-22-2003, 03:17 PM
Hey, sometimes i have to do other, less useful, things like sleeping! ;)

Well, he did mention morphix anyway, so i thought i just might shut up for once :D, i might try to remove some cruft to keep it under the 185MB mark...

And having kde3.1 on a mini-cd seems like something nearly impossible. mozilla is just pure cruft, use phoenix or galeon instead (although galeon is also quite big, havn't looked at dillo yet). You'll have to compromise, or use a bigger CD ;)

freeballer
02-22-2003, 05:19 PM
oh I know I'd have to compromise on something, what would happen if just the browser was installed? but as far as kde is concerned I thought it would be nearly -> totally impossible....
oh well, I guess I'll have to try and not kill my HD trying to remaster a CD myself, perhaps I'll take the easy way out and try to cut some stuff off of the lite CD so that I can add some things, konsole apps and then try for mozilla after that.....

two questions:
Do the developer tools have to be installed for the OS to work or can those also be uninstalled???
Are there any file managers for icewm or one already installed?

Alextreme
02-22-2003, 11:25 PM
Well, good luck, and just keep on asking :D

1: nope, developer tools are only needed to build the cloop image
2: dunno, don't think so. i'm settling on the rox-filer, worker and gentoo are nice too...

Flibble
02-24-2003, 10:05 AM
How about BrowseX (http://browseX.com), I just tried it off of the LNX-BBC distro (which is GREAT BTW!) and I was impressed at how good it is for such a small footprint.

Flibble
02-24-2003, 10:08 AM
How about BrowseX (http://browseX.com), I just tried it off of the LNX-BBC distro (which is GREAT BTW!) and I was impressed at how good it is for such a small footprint.

......as a browser, not a file manager. ;>

zer
02-24-2003, 08:26 PM
only Openoffice, gimp and Mozilla might take 200 mb...
if you want a 185mb CD-based distro, prefer smaller packages

jaco
03-11-2003, 10:28 AM
I've been playing with a mini LiveCD distribution based on Mandrake that might fullfill this need. Yes, not exactly Knoppix, although I must say that Knoppix has helped a great deal in ideas, linuxrc scripts and motivation to get it going. (Hey what can I say, I'm a long-time MDK user, so shoot me :)

It might just contain what you need: KDE 3.1, Gimp, XMMS, etc. If you need more packages, there are still space left on the CD, just ask somewhere in the forums :) You can find the CD iso at http://minicd.berlios.de.

Ok, that is the end of my shameless plug. Nice toy, but definately not Knoppix in terms of sheer number of packages available.