PDA

View Full Version : Now for a MEDIA PLAYER..........

BiggJeff74
03-19-2004, 01:21 AM
:?: Some sites that I regularly visit need M$ Media player. Is there a player that I can use with knoppix or is there a download I can get to use on the sites that require M$ Media Player? Thanks.

BiggJeff74 :shock:

firebyrd10
03-19-2004, 02:49 AM
You could alway try wine to install media player, don't no if it will work but for now thats your only option, I haven't heard of a windows media player equiv.

Stephen
03-19-2004, 03:17 AM
:?: Some sites that I regularly visit need M$ Media player. Is there a player that I can use with knoppix or is there a download I can get to use on the sites that require M$ Media Player? Thanks.

apt-get install mplayer-??? w32codecs mplayer-mozilla replace the ??? with the version you want 386, k7 or 686.

aay
03-19-2004, 03:42 AM

BiggJeff74,

Stephen is giving you the right info, but you will need the following line in your /etc/apt/sources.list

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main

After you do this, do an apt-get update, and you should be able to grab mplayer and the required codecs. If you want to watch streams that are embeded in the browser, then you will need to also apt-get mozilla-mplayer.

For some reason, I'm not able to get all Windows media streams to work when they are embeded into Mozilla. However if you have the w32codecs package, you will be able to watch quicktime streams (which are used in most movie trailers) flawlessly...at least I've never had any problem with them.

aay
03-19-2004, 03:51 AM
Regarding that last post of mine, does anyone have any tips regarding how to get Windows streams working better. I find that initially after I install mozilla-mlayer these streams work fine, but they consistently seem to fail on a number of different machines of mine after a while. I don't know why. Frankly I'd have no use for these things except that my wife likes to preview audio streams on some CD's before she buys. Sometimes there are no RealPlayer options.

firebyrd10
03-19-2004, 04:47 AM
You know, sometiems I like being proven wrong ^