PDA

View Full Version : Overclockix

jshah329
03-19-2004, 01:59 AM
Hey all,

Downloaded and installed the newest version of Overclockix (which is a remastered version of the Knoppix 3.4 found in the European magazine). It seems to work fine off CD, a few errors here or there. There is also an option to do a harddrive install. Everything in the install runs smoothly, and I restart and get to the login screen just fine. However, Im running into two problems.....when i ran the hd install it asked me for a username and password however the login screen is in german and is using the german keyboard layout, so i cant login. Also, my usb mouse does not work (but it did when I ran off CD).

Basically I want to know how to pass the argument lang=us to the kernel b4 boot (or wherever the hell its required, lol).

Im about as nubish as nubish gets, so please give step by step instructions with exact procdures I should follow, if possible.

if anybody is interested in Overclockix, check out http://overclockix.octeams.com/ --it comes with lin kernel 2.6, gnome 2.4 and i think kde 3.2 as well as mz firefox ..... enjoy :-)

firebyrd10
03-19-2004, 02:48 AM
check to see if you downloaded and installed the german version instead of the english, other then that I don't know.

jshah329
03-19-2004, 03:39 AM
Nope, as far as I know Overclockix produces only an English version. It could be that since they did get Knoppix from the European magazine they didnt bother to change it in that sense. However, I fixed that issue by reformatting and reinstalling and choosing a very small password (less possible character mismatches). However, my mouse still does not work. Its a USB optical M$ Intellimouse (4 buttons + 1 scrollwheel). Also, the internet does not work either. (Both the mouse and the internet were working when I ran off CD).

Thx for trying to help, fire. If anybody else has other suggestions please post them, all help is appreciated!

jshah329
03-19-2004, 03:07 PM
bump!

firebyrd10
03-19-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm guessing that they probably got it off the euro mag and forgot to change the lang.

Or it could have been during the user creation you made the defualt lang german?

jshah329
03-19-2004, 07:17 PM
Nope again, lol. As far as I can recall there was no language selection during the installation.

Would you happen to know how to pass arguments on boot, I am pretty sure this is just a matter of adding lang=us when the system starts up b/c when running off the Overclockix CD I use knoppix26 lang=us, and it works correctly. However, I have no idea about the mouse or the internet not working, they were fine when I ran off CD.

Thx again.

firebyrd10
03-19-2004, 07:42 PM
I have no idea about that. :(

arkaine23
03-19-2004, 08:30 PM
/etc/lilo.conf

Read the comments in there. There should be a section for passing options to the kernels.

When done-

/sbin/lilo -v

Is how you update lilo I think.

You'll have to be root to edit the file and run these commands.

I'd recommend either trying an install when booted from the 2.4 kernel, or following some of the threads here that describe how to setup both kernels in the Knoppix 3.4 Cebit edition (which is what Ocix 3.4 is based on).

run the command: uname -a to see what kernel you've got running
I'm betting its 2.4 unless you jumped through some hoops to install both kernels.

As for the language, this was my first language-converted CD. I've got an updated iso now that needs testing where the conversion to English should be more thorough. You can probably fix the keyboard layout in KDE by clicking the german flag in the bottom right of the kicker taskbar and selecting the american flag.

At this time I have not updated KDE to 3.2. This beta CD is buggy enough, so I'll just wait a bit for KDE 3.2 to mature.

A. Jorge Garcia
03-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Yup, OverClockix looks great!

The only thing is that its only distributed via bittorrent and I haven't had a chance to figure that out yet. I tried apt-cache search to see if its available that way and it was listed. However, apt-get install bittorrent never gets me a complete install. I get an error about running apt-get update which I have a dozen times since and still no luck....

Regards,
AJG

mcaycedo
03-19-2004, 09:09 PM
Well, about bittorrent, If you have an Knoppix live CD on a machine and some disk with space (don forget to enable read/write access), you can use the console application btlaunchmany.

Launch one console, then, move to some place with read & write access, and then write "sudo btlaunchmany .". Then, must begin to appears some message like "All: Spd: 0 B/0 B Tot......", and this messages appears every 1 or 2 seconds.

Then, all you have to do is put some torrent files in this folder( the last dot in the command means: search the torrent files in this folder and dowload the files here; if you want you cant put the destination path here) . And the download will began automathically. In the text messages you will know about tour downloads.

Durand Hicks
03-19-2004, 09:13 PM
If you're stuck on apt-get update/upgrade because of a broken package, then you'll need to run either of these two commands to unstick it:

cd /var/cache/apt/archives <press enter>
dpkg --force-overwrite packagename or
dpkg --purge packagename

The second option will remove the faulty package and you'll be able to apt-get update/upgrade as usual. The first option is Stephen's favorite command, as I've noticed that he uses it a lot. I've only been using the second command for unsticking myself and starting over from another angle, but you should do whatever floats your boat.

HTH,

Durand

arkaine23
03-20-2004, 01:04 AM
Sorry my host got swamped last month so we had to switch the 3.4 beta iso over to BT. The older and less buggy Technomancer release can be gotten via http. But it lacks the newer stuff like the 2.6 kernel and captive NTFS.

A. Jorge Garcia
03-20-2004, 03:27 AM
OK, btlaunchmany is on what CD? I'm still using 2003.1119 as I didn't see a need for a new ISO as yet for my purposes.

Regards,
AJG

proto
03-20-2004, 04:25 AM
Is Overclockix a new or another version of Nnoppix? Im real new to Linux . all these different version have me confused? :?:

mcaycedo
03-20-2004, 04:51 AM
btlaunchmany is in all versions that I have, included version 20031119

Overclockix is a Knoppix remastered. So, it has a lot of things in common with Knoppix, but uses a different theme and may include some specific software.

A. Jorge Garcia
03-20-2004, 02:56 PM
proto: Overclockix has a lot of cool distributed supercomputing apps. ie: mersenne.org, setiathome.org, ....

Regards,
AJG

A. Jorge Garcia
03-20-2004, 07:04 PM
mcaycedo: OOPs, you're right, btlaunchmany is on my knoppix-installed as debian 20031119 PCs! I just tried it in shell and its there, I just need a torrent file! Originally, I must not have spelt it right....

Thanx,
AJG

arkaine23
03-23-2004, 08:27 PM
What makes Overclockix different from Knoppix?

Software selection- karamba, mplayer, firebird, ncftp, gFTP, folding@home, seti@home, prime95, cpuburn, nano, john, mldonkey-gui, and others... (some releases have opera and thunderbird as well)

Often removed are- gnumeric, koffice, abiword, qcad, zile, gedit, xemacs, emacs, mozilla, and more...

Whenever something is a bit out of date and a new feature is needed, I update it. For example gaim needed an update a few months ago when msn and yahoo changed protocols. K3b got updated with an 11.x version that had better support for dvd-burning. It's not always the case, but usually at least a few packages in Overclockix are newer than the current knoppix release.

Desktop tweaking- fantasy-art/space background images, extra png icon themes, karamba themes, pre-configured transperancy

Modified default boot options- higher default resolution, and usually home=scan also are set by default.

Extra drivers- Nforce2 chipset and a few others; mostly network cards.

What is Overclockix lacking?

Developers. Right now my releases have become riddled with a few little bugs (mainly broken kmenus) and I haven't had enough time to patch them up. It's a hard task for one person to maintain a Live CD, especially at the pace that Knoppix grows. It is time-consuming and pays nothing (though its not thankless work by any means).