PDA

View Full Version : Networking between Knoppix & XP

YannLeMerle
03-19-2004, 08:11 PM
some help and some questions:

I have on a home network connected 2 XPs + 1 Knoppix machine.
The knoppix machine is there to store file as a backup (initialy)

How to access Windows from Knoppix:
1 - connect all machines on the Lan
2 - start all machines
3 - Go to the XP directories you want to have access from Linux
4 - click right/property/share --->share the diretory to network users
5 - Start samba server on koppix (menu Knoppix/Services/Startsamba server)
6 - Open LinNeighborhood (Menu Internet/)
7 - You should get something like that:

Linux
------XP1
------XP2

8 - click right (scan as user) to see the different directories of the XP machines (enter XP psswd)
9 - Click mount on the directory you want to be able to read/write from Linux
10 - Go to Konqueror /mnt and you will have access to your XP directory

That's it - I hope this procedure will help someone, it took me some times to figure it out.

Now part II

How do I access Linux from my XP machine?
At this point I can see the Knoppix server from Windows but I can log on.

Any help?

Thanks,

homer
04-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Precisely the same situation & question here. Yann, if you're still stuck (not a recent post I guess) I'm doing a little searching and playing about - if I find a solution I'll post back, anyone any newbie-pointers? Thanks.

firebyrd10
04-12-2004, 04:02 PM
if you know the name of the computer you could also type smb://(name here) into Konqueror though its not as easy to mount. (lin doesn't work for me so I have have to mount manually. smbmount //(name of computer)/(shared folder) //(place where folder to be mount is)

and if you need a name and password add this to the end -o username=(name), password=(password)

homer
04-13-2004, 05:21 AM
Found this quite helpful too
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqSambaQuick

Didn't have to log on here, the filesystem on Knoppix.workgroup.net came up automatically, no fuss, viewing it on xp server.workgroup.net

Honkeychops
04-30-2004, 02:40 AM
Hi, Im new to Knoppix and am lovin it!!

Right now I`m listening to Lennon`s "The dream is Over" located on my other computer (W98) but on my main box with Knoppix 3.3 Live CD and XMMS.

I can easily Network to any shared folders on the 98 box using LinNeighborhood on this computer with Knoppix.

I can also easily "mount" and access (read) files/folders on the XP side of this box.

The only thing I havent figured out yet is how to get at the Linux "side" from my W98 box!

I can indeed "see" under Windows "Entire Network" another listing: *Workgroup* and when I click on this, I then see *Knoppix* but when I click on Knoppix I get a Windows error message something to the effect that I have NO access priveledges to Knoppix.

Can someone shed some light into this matter for me or is this a Windows issue?

Thanks for any insight to this NEWBIE

Matt

arkaine23
04-30-2004, 08:44 AM
I have played around with this some, and my remastered CD's are set to share the whole knoppix filesystem and also just the /home's.

What I've determined is that, when running live from CD, you cannot connect to the writeable portion of your knoppix box- the dynamic ramdisk does not allow either nfs or samba to work. There is also a fixed ramdisk where for example /etc is kept. This can be connected to and even written to using NFS. I have been able to connect using NFS when I've created a persistent home, and when my mounted directory is within the persistent home, also with NFS.

I assume that properly configured samba shares (share for directories under /home/knoppix could also be accessed in this way when you run live and have a persistent home.

Hard drive installs naturally do not have this limitation, so any samba shares you create can be mapped into network drives in widnows as normal.