PDA

View Full Version : A wireless card that works!

Brett Clark
03-20-2004, 02:39 AM
After fighting with this problem for 2 weeks, I have a wireless card that works well with Knoppix (hard drive install): Netgear MA401

This one is discontinued,but still easy to find on eBay, etc. Worked the first time, using the "Wavelan Configuration" app (wlcardconfig), followed by "Network Card Configuration" (netcardconfig).

What DIDN'T work:

Netgear MA111 - supposedly works with "linux-wlan-ng", but I never got hotplug to associate the driver with it.

Edimax 7610 - I bought this because it said on the box that it would work with Linux. They provide Redhat pre-made drivers on their website. I tried to compile drivers from the sources they provide, but never could get it to work. Also, even the source code provided depends on a proprietary binary file.

aay
03-20-2004, 05:51 AM
Cool. Is there a specific model number? Sometimes even various versions of a particular card may have differences. Case in point with some of the Linksys cards. I'm just asking cause the wireless question comes up a lot here. The more info the better.

c123
03-20-2004, 11:22 AM
I gather wee're talking about 802.11b? I've always found the Orinoco (Hermes chipset) card works very well. Auto-detected, correct drivers loaded (not like when I tried Mandrake a while ago - took me a few me days to figure things out) etc. There's still a bit of config required though.

I have dhcp on my network so for me the procedure was:
1. netcardconfig (no to dhcp, yes to eveything else)
2. wlcardconfig (specify essid and wep, yes to eveything else)
3. netcardconfig (yes to dhcp, no to other steps)

I always needed (need) to run netcardconfig at the beginning or wlcardconfig would ocmplain about no adaptor being present.

Orinoco cards are known under a variety of names including WaveLAN, Agere, Avaya, Lucent Technologies etc (quick google should reveal some of the companies rebading this card).

milliways
03-21-2004, 05:32 PM
I found another card that works: U.S.Robotronics Wireless PC card (USR022410).
I habe one, that works as a PCMCI as well as PCI (You insert the PCMCI card in a slot in to convert it to PCI)

But: No DHCP so far...
Manual setup in 30 seconds.

I've tested about five other card 'till a friend found this one in one of his drawers.
I'm quite exited

says Milliways
Hamburg
Germany

OErjan
03-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Netgear MA401 works fine.