PDA

View Full Version : I tried to remaster knoppix on hdd..but...............

Raj
02-22-2003, 09:53 PM
Hello

I tried to re-master knoppix according to the instructions

# apt-get install synaptic
You have to export DISPLAY environment variable for synaptic to work properly
#DISPLAY=myip:0.0 ( replace my ip with your actual IP)
#export DISPLAY
#synaptic

Execution of Last Instruciton gives error..command synaptic not found...
Let me know how to find out an ip address of my pc..i suppose it is x.x.x.x for a terminal....
I think i hve got ip add right..then what can be wrong....

Is it only possible to remaster knoppix if we have not installed it.....on hdd or as in my case (I hv installed it on hdd ) i can remaster it still....when i try to give command like apt-setup it asks for debian cd..whereas i hav knoppix cd..

Pls someone help me to remaster ...coz i 'm a newbie and dont' wanna again shift to red hat..how to use scripts provided one of the articles on forum….

Thanks
Anmol

Alextreme
02-22-2003, 11:36 PM
Well, you could keep on trying to use synaptic, but personally i use dselect or aptitude to select packages. Note that remastering requires at least some knowledge about how apt and the debian packaging system works, so you might have to take a look on www.debian.org to get aquainted with it.

My guess is that you havn't apt-get updated to rebuild your packagelists. You might also want to check out the knoppix-docs on the wiki here

andreiop
03-02-2003, 11:01 PM
hi,
this is my first time on this forum so please excuse me if I posted this in the wrong place

this is my directory structure:

/mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX (this is where KNOPPIX for remastering should be but instead I coppied my Mandrake hard-drive installed)

could it be possible to make a compressed fs and at last an .iso woth the real /cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img and /cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.cat using the Mandrake distro instead of what should be /KNOPPIX in /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX?

please help me!

thank you very much.[/i]

Mycroft1855
03-05-2003, 08:00 PM
You probably should have posted a new topic, but since you asked. I don't personnaly know if it is possible to use the KNOPPIX setup with mandrake, but there is already a linux on cd version with mandrake.

http://www.virtual-linux.org/nuke/index.php

Its called virtual linux. I've only used it a little bit because it misdetects my laptop keyboard, but other than that it seems to work fine. Also seems a bit easier to customize for newbies. Hope this helps.