PDA

View Full Version : v.3.3 installer

NikNak
03-20-2004, 02:45 PM
(tried searching... just found different flavors of question but not exactly)

I plan to hd install using the v3.3 installer on partitions that are on same hd as my XP (boo hiss) install. I'm not clear on if the installer will make the Linux partition bootable. I don't want that. I want to boot to Linux using this boot cd option I've read tid bits about. Will the installer give that option? or do I have to do something else later to get and burn the image to cd? can the knoppix live cd be used for that (booting to hd installed version)?

c123
03-24-2004, 01:04 PM
I think you can do what you want to do... Pretty sure I've read posts where people have done that, then want to install lilo or grub. I think the option to choose is to install lilo to the partition, and not the mbr - if you install to the mbr, then lilo will load asking if you want to boot to linux or windows...

Check out http://thefredsite.free.fr/linux.php?id=80, the text is in French but you get to see screenshots of all the (English) dialogs you are asked for the install.

For your last question, yes the Knoppix CD can be used for booting to a HDD install (from an earlier post, seems that the cheat code would be "knoppix root=/dev/hda6", if you have installed knoppix to hda6 that is).

HTH

NikNak
03-24-2004, 02:44 PM
Great info, thanks!

I've tried Fedora w/KDE 3.1 and looked at screens of other Linux GUI's and as far as I can tell, nothing beats the way the Knoppix installed KDE 3.3 gui looks and feels... tasteful and intuitive. After seeing the frenchy site, I feel ready to blow dust off an old HD and give it a whirl.

With how many distros there are, there should be a site with screen grabs of various distro installs. Would help noobs alot in just getting started.

Actually the distro home pages themselves ought to have that, oh well.