PDA

View Full Version : Apt-get: Setup /etc/apt/sources.list and apt.conf

Jack_
03-20-2004, 04:07 PM
I've read the apt-get tips, but still am on not clear on what is correct to have in the sources.list file, and the apt.conf file.

After a 3.4ct HD install the sources.list file, lists stable, testing, unstable and experimental sources. Is that the best setup or should we comment out some?

Also, in apt.conf it lists the default release as testing, how is that setting used?

Example: If a do a apt-get install XXXX, will it use testing as the default source since its in the apt.conf file?

c123
03-24-2004, 12:49 PM
I'm a learning newbie with apt-get, but here's what I understand.

You can have multiple sources in your sources.list file. apt-get uses the first valid source that it finds. So if you have stable, then testing and then unstable sources for a package (in that order) apt-get will install the stable version of the package (which is most probably very old).

Knoppix is a mixture of testing/unstable, so I think it's best (for most people) to comment out 'stable' sources.

Can't remember/not sure what apt.conf does.

Note that you can tell apt-get to install a particular version (i.e. stable, unstable or testing) of a package by using the option -t, e.g. (and from the sticky at the top of this forum)
apt-get install -t unstable packagename

Generally, do two things after a HDD install
1. comment out stable sources
2. do an "apt-get update" and comment out any sources that return an error

After that,
3. only add new sources if you need them for a particular package

HTH, hope I've got nothing wrong :]