PDA

View Full Version : Basic XBox questions - please help

Kerr Avon
03-21-2004, 11:59 PM
I am thinking of installing Linux on my XBox, so that I can play the linux version of Unreal Tournament, which I much prefer to Unreal Championship (the XBox port of UT). Since I know nothing of Linux, and intend only to use it to play one game (at least for now), I am considering using Knoppix, as I understand it will take up little if any hard disc space on my XBox.

This leads me to ask several questions:

1) Will Knoppix run on the XBox? I presume so, since the XBox is largely a PC, and hard disc resident versions of Linux do work on it, but can someone confirm it of their own experience?

2) If Knoppix does run on the XBox, will it run on version 1.4 and 1.5 XBoxes? I know some Linux versions fail due to the Focus chip installed in these XBoxes.

3) Does Knoppix include a virtual keyboard, for those who have no keyboard attached (like the virtual keyboard in WinstonX, the XBox Atari ST emulator)?

I think that's everything. Thanks for any answers.

Rudolph
06-09-2011, 10:02 AM
I am thinking of installing Linux on my XBox, so that I can play the linux version of Unreal Tournament, which I much prefer to Unreal Championship (the XBox port of UT). Since I know nothing of Linux, and intend only to use it to play one game (at least for now), I am considering using Knoppix, as I understand it will take up little if any hard disc space on my XBox.

This leads me to ask several questions:

1) Will Knoppix run on the XBox? I presume so, since the XBox is largely a PC, and hard disc resident versions of Linux do work on it, but can someone confirm it of their own experience?

2) If Knoppix does run on the XBox, will it run on version 1.4 and 1.5 XBoxes? I know some Linux versions fail due to the Focus chip installed in these XBoxes.

3) Does Knoppix include a virtual keyboard, for those who have no keyboard attached (like the virtual keyboard in WinstonX, the XBox Atari ST emulator)?

I think that's everything. Thanks for any answers.

I understand it will take up little if any hard disc space on my XBox.