PDA

View Full Version : Gnome???

Da_Brain
03-22-2004, 04:06 PM
Dumb question probally but I would like to use Gnome with the Knoppix Distro 3.3. Can this be done?

Im aware of Gnoppix and have played with it a little and Love the way Gnome looks.

I already have installed Knoppix 3.3 on a hard drive and would like to add the Gnome Package.

So can this be done say by using Apt-Get or any other way?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

drdream
03-26-2004, 09:20 AM
first, you should type: apt-get update
then : apt-get install gnome
and that will do it.

aay
03-26-2004, 03:14 PM
first, you should type: apt-get update
then : apt-get install gnome
and that will do it.

Yep. It's that easy. Hopefully you have a broadband connection though!

Da_Brain
03-27-2004, 02:18 PM
Would like to thank both of you above for responding to my questions. Really appreciate it.

I did get 2.4 Gnome to install. It didn't go exactly smooth. Perhaps this was due to my already using apt-get to update in the past. I had run apt-get from the KDE package center.

I kept getting an error mentioning some lib that was missimg or that I had some unstable files. Tried apt-get install Gnome update several time with the same results.

So I said what the heck, I ran Apt-get Upgrade and about 289 meg of items were d/l and I assume upgraded?

Then I went to a shell and ran apt-get install gnome and this time it d/l all gnome files and installed them.

Logged off of KDE and there Gnome was in my boot list--))))

Runs just fine, now looking forward to Gnome 2.6!--)))

I know have the best of both worlds, KDE and Gnome. I like to play and learn so know off to do more learning--))))

I wrote a lot of the above in the hopes it may help some else and thanks again to BOTH of you above! :lol:

Brian in Erie, PA

bob58
03-28-2004, 05:32 AM
Hey I wanted to check out GNOME too, but when i ran the following:

apt-get install gnome i get the following:

oot@Home:~# apt-get install gnome
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gnome: Depends: gnome-desktop-environment (= 46) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
root@Home:~#

Whats up with this???? Why would GNOME have this kind of problem??? Any clue??? Thanks...bob

Da_Brain
03-28-2004, 05:53 AM
Bob read what I wrote above cause what you got is EXACTLY what I was getting untill I ran from a shell Apt-Get UPGRADE and then I ran Apt-get Update and then I ran Apt-get Install Gnome and then everything woked fine.

Thats the best I can explain it to you as thats what worked for me. IM still learning and have a long way to go. All I know is that after I did the UPGRADE, the the UPDATE ran a couple hundred meg of updates and then I ran the install gnome with apt-get and I got another couple hundred meg of pure Gnome and then it self installed fine. I then logged off of KDE anf re logged back in with Gnome now on my login menu and poof everything was fine. Best of Luck to you.

bob58
03-31-2004, 02:21 PM
Well, that is of course if you can DOWNLOAD and INSTALL it!!! I still have the same problem trying to apt-get, update, and install GNOME! It says the same error like before. I supposed i could try again....where do all these downloaded programs go? what folder is it all in????? bob

Dave_Bechtel
04-03-2004, 08:36 AM
--Just a note - DaBrain has the order wrong.

1st:
' apt-get update ' == Update available package list
2nd:
' apt-get upgrade ' == Download and install upgraded packages.

--Where all the downloaded .debs go:
/var/cache/apt/archives.

Well, that is of course if you can DOWNLOAD and INSTALL it!!! I still have the same problem trying to apt-get, update, and install GNOME! It says the same error like before. I supposed i could try again....where do all these downloaded programs go? what folder is it all in????? bob

bob58
04-03-2004, 06:57 PM
This is extremely aggravating! No matter what I try, doing apt-get update, upgrade, install, i keep getting the same stupid error for GNOME! If there is a problem with the package, how is everyone else getting it to work for them? I have done the apt-get thing enough to see how simple it is but there seems to be a problem with the GNOME package where it originates from. Am I doing something wrong I dont see? It seems simple to do apt-get whatever, but i keep getting that error! HELP!!!

Max
04-03-2004, 07:53 PM
When I have had similar problems running
apt-get -f install with no package name has usually fixed the problem.

bob58
04-04-2004, 01:14 AM
OK I did get it to work by typing in a section of code :-t unstable" and that helped. But MAX do you know how to go about getting the DEFRAG program? Why isnt that offered as a standard item? bob

Max
04-04-2004, 06:23 AM
I am really fairly new to Linux but I have found that using a combination of Synaptic Package Manager & apt-get seems to work well. What one hangs up on the other usually can handle. I couldn't live without "apt-get -f install" though.

As far as I know defrag isn't necessary in Linux: http://www.linuxgazette.com/node/view/7434
Fsck seems to be run at least every 29 or 30 times that you bootup.