PDA

View Full Version : Program installation instructions

bob58
03-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Hello all....I find at certain websites, that i need a "plug-in" to make certain aspects of web pages work with multi media. One such plug-in is "media player for LINUX" I downloaded it to my home directory. Now I am having trouble figuring out how to install it! I guess now that I have got my Knoppix installation on the HDD running well, my next project is to learn how to install programs! I need step by step instructions cause i still am having trouble figuring out the directory structure of LINUX. Like I said I downloaded the linux media player file. It is in a folder I made called "temp" in my home directory. when i click on the icon, it turns into a FOLDER! when i click on that, more files appear. There is a note saying that it is a command line install and wont work with a gui.OK so i tried for quite a while to do this at the console as root and i kept getting "file or directory not found" even tho when i do an "LS" it does show the directories in there!!! OK so when i click on the desktop icon of the little house [home] there are about 5 folders in there, one I made called "temp" has the linux media player file which has a .gz extension so i guess i have to unzip it somehow. I understand this from using DOS and pkunzip....but i need to find the actual installation file which i can't. So i guess if I can navigate to where this program is using the console, i can type in a command to extract & install....Please help!!!!! b ob