PDA

View Full Version : [help]Start up freezes

eris_pluvia
03-22-2004, 07:04 PM
I've hd-installed knoppix. My system has integrated graphics; when it loads the module "agpgart" it freezes. The concerning "lspci -v" oputput is:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82865G Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.: Unknown device 7650
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Memory at ffe80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
I/O ports at ec00 [size=8]
Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 1

What can I do? TIA

Eris Pluvia

Stephen
03-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Try typing in knoppix noagp then enter key at the knoppix boot screen when the CD first starts.

eris_pluvia
03-23-2004, 12:01 AM
Try typing in knoppix noagp then enter key at the knoppix boot screen when the CD first starts.

Thanks, I will do. In fact, when I start up with CD, error mesage about apagart also apears in xinit (but the system does not freeze).

Stephen
03-23-2004, 01:34 AM

Thanks, I will do. In fact, when I start up with CD, error mesage about apagart also apears in xinit (but the system does not freeze).

Sorry missed you were installed to the HD :? . You will have to edit the file /etc/modules and either remove the line with the agpgart or put a # character in front of it to comment it out to prevent the module being loaded. Then in the file /etc/modutils/aliases you may have to do the same with the alias char-major-175 agpgart line as well then you would have to run update-modules to update the /etc/modules.conf with the new information to be used on the next boot.

eris_pluvia
03-23-2004, 12:08 PM
Stephen:

You will have to edit the file /etc/modules and either remove the line with the agpgart or put a # character in front of it to comment it out to prevent the module being loaded. Then in the file /etc/modutils/aliases you may have to do the same with the alias char-major-175 agpgart line as well then you would have to run update-modules to update the /etc/modules.conf with the new information to be used on the next boot.

Well, miracleusly it works!!! Thanks a lot.

For forward users: before running "modules-update" you must first reboot with your own instalation in text mode ("knoppix 2") to avoid graphic interaction. Login as root and then run "modules-update".