PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix wont find cd-rom

CAKochenash
03-24-2004, 12:10 AM
I am yet another newbie to linux and I wanted to put knoppix on an old pc just for shits and so I adjusted my boot sequence in my bios as follows: CD-ROM, Floppy, HD1. I did make a floppy disk just incase it wouldn't boot from the CD. I put the floppy in and booted up. When it is booting up, its seems as if it is totally overlooking the cd-rom (though it is trying to access it) and goes right to the floppy. All is fine until I hit enter at the boot: prompt. It seems to load ok until it tries to find the cd. At that point it cannot find it and it takes me to a really shitty shell prompt. I know for a fact that the CD-ROM works because I had windows 98SE on it up until this point. I aslo know that the cd was burnt correctly because i tried it on a different computer and i didn't have a single problem. I even tried replacing the CD-ROM. No luck. Can someone please help me, I am seriously about to go off the deep end.

fingers99
03-25-2004, 07:15 AM
Check the cableing and jumpering of the CDROM. Just because it worked in Windows doesn't mean its right or that it'll work like that in Linux.

In particular, don't use cable select.