PDA

View Full Version : PANIC: !!

X7
03-24-2004, 09:17 PM
hey, um well...ive just downloaded knoppix and burned it to cd. It boops up fine, but during the configuration bit i get this error:

"INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation at 0x804ec92! Sleeping for 30 Seconds."

It then sleeps for 30 secs as it says, but then it says it again and sleeps and again and again etc.

Im new to Knoppix(and linux). So anyone help me out with this please :)

Thanks in advance.
Laters
X7

X7
03-24-2004, 09:52 PM
hey um...i just thought of something.

Just before that error it says this:

Automounter started for: floppy cdrom.

BUT!

I dont have a floppy drive installed on this box.

Could that have anything to do with it?

cheers
X7

fingers99
03-25-2004, 07:03 AM
Possibly. I'd have a look at the cheat codes (in docs above) and see if there's something applicable. no floppy, perhaps?

kasyap
04-08-2004, 03:46 AM
Exact same error right after "automounter started for :floppy cdrom"

I have both, and I can't figure out why !! so probably not due to lack of floppy or cdrom. Did you guys also see some read errors from scsi0 ??

Neo-Rio
04-08-2004, 08:23 AM
Might have to put in a cheat-code to get it to work on your hardware.

I know a few laptops that barf unless they get a cheat-code on boot. I had one that crashed the install unless I put in "knoppix noagp" at the boot prompt.

For now, you should be able to boot in with "failsafe" as a cheat code. If that works, try experimenting with the other ones to determine the problem. You have acpi,apm,agp, etc. to try out.... so get busy!

virtualx
07-13-2005, 02:10 AM
I had the same issue witha knoppix vairent, Quantain, and was unable to boot in failsafe.

Some one in this fourm: http://www.linux-forensics.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=98&sid=a8f92261eb199d00555384963f4d9dc6
suggested that it may be a bad iso and to check the MD5 sum

so I ran
# md5sum Quantain_0.5.iso

and came up with a different hash than the one listed in the downloads.

rwcitek
07-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Might have to put in a cheat-code to get it to work on your hardware.
For now, you should be able to boot in with "failsafe" as a cheat code. If that works, try experimenting with the other ones to determine the problem. You have acpi,apm,agp, etc. to try out.... so get busy!
That's a good course. I recommend not just failsafe but boot: failsafe debug -b 3 Using that boot command you will pause at various stages in the boot process. Just type 'exit' at each shell prompt to move on to the next stage. You'll know you're at the final stage when typing 'exit' doesn't do anything. If you get that far, type 'init 5' to go into graphics mode.

So, how far do you get?

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/