PDA

View Full Version : Try to install KNOPPIX 3.3. on my HDD - result was GRUB ;(

mike22
03-25-2004, 09:55 PM
Hello to All. I am young in Linux. I have huge wish to install KNOPPIX on my HDD. I was tring to install KNOPPIX with knx-hdinstall & sudo knoppix-installer. Was created hda1 - 3 Gb for system (bootable), hda5 - 2,6 Gb, and ~ 300 Mb for Linux swap. After installing process - reboot computer. Try start system from HDD - result was GRUB. What's mean? Why can't start from HDD? Thank you for Help.

donl
03-29-2004, 12:59 AM
I have similar problem. During hd-installation file coping gets to 95% and I get some beeps, but install continues untill done. Reboot and install won't boot. I'm trying Knoppix type installl to see what happens?????

donl
03-29-2004, 01:27 AM
Didn't work....will try knx-hdinstall and see how that goes.

donl
03-29-2004, 01:52 AM
knoppix-installer is broke, knx-hdinstall works

meansbeans
04-10-2004, 03:57 AM
I have a similar problem, but found the following workaround. (dual-booting Windows 98 and Knoppix 3.3. Sorry, folks, but we have only one computer, and my daughter, who is resistant to change, won't use Linux!)

When the computer is turned on, it loads BIOS, etc, and stops on the following prompt:

GRUB>

To boot Windows 98 (found this somewhere on the net) I type:

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

then I press "enter," then I type:

makeactive

and again press "enter," then type:

chainloader +1

boot

Then Windows 98 boots up.

To boot into Knoppix, I simply put in the floppy rescue disk that was created during the hard drive installation process, and it automatically boots the Knoppix on my hard drive.

I'm sure there's a way to make all this happen without all the typing, but I haven't got there yet!

garyng
04-10-2004, 09:26 AM
I have a similar problem, but found the following workaround. (dual-booting Windows 98 and Knoppix 3.3. Sorry, folks, but we have only one computer, and my daughter, who is resistant to change, won't use Linux!)

When the computer is turned on, it loads BIOS, etc, and stops on the following prompt:

GRUB>

To boot Windows 98 (found this somewhere on the net) I type:

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

then I press "enter," then I type:

makeactive

chainloader +1

boot

Then Windows 98 boots up.

To boot into Knoppix, I simply put in the floppy rescue disk that was created during the hard drive installation process, and it automatically boots the Knoppix on my hard drive.

I'm sure there's a way to make all this happen without all the typing, but I haven't got there yet!

You need to find where the menu.lst file has been coded into your GRUB image(called stage2 but don't know where it is installed on your machine). Then just put the above stuff in a text file and put it to the place where GRUB wants the menu file.

cintra
04-10-2004, 10:58 AM
I found the following page useful, and have set up a floppy to boot any of the distros on my system, including XP - without the floppy, XP starts as normal.

You seem to be into Grub already, and the following should help you make menu.lst on the floppy.

http://www.linuxarkivet.nu/howto/Multiboot-with-GRUB/x18.html

Detailed information can be found in Grub Manual at http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

Best of luck