PDA

View Full Version : Loading programs entirely to /dev/shm (ramdisk)

bhsx
02-23-2003, 09:40 PM
The Gentoo LiveCD with UT2003 had a really neat feature where you could load the entire UT2003 demo into ram if you had enough (min was 256 i think). I've been trying to emulate this with K, for example, loading and running Tuxracer from ram but haven't found an adequate solution. Basically, I've just been guessing (incorrectly) in the absence of a howto.
So how would one accomplish this? How can I give an option to load an app to the ramdisk and then run from there?

On a slightly different topic, how would I load OpenOffice.org in the background when the window manager (whichever, kde, fluxbox, etc) loads? We all know that that's what MS does to make MSOffice seem so quick, and I'd like to play around with it in K, but don't know how.

Any help, as always is sublimely appreciated.

RockMumbles
02-24-2003, 02:10 AM
ooqstart is a quick starter for oo.org, so far the package is set up to work as a "tray" app for gnome, just like a quick loader in windows. The gnome "tray" app has some normal quick starter features built in. I was able to make the executable (ooqstart) but not the whole ooqstart-gnome package on my system, so I started ooqstart with the path to my oo.org install, and the first startup of oo.org swriter took 30+ seconds (normal startup time) on my AMD K2-400 w/ 160MB ram (woody with KDE 3.1), repeated startups of swriter took maybe 10 seconds!

What ooqstart does is it loads soffice.bin into memory, on my system it takes about 18% of my ram but doesn't seem to affect performance at all. I'm wondering about memory leaks, so I left it up and am going to see what happens with time, if it doesn't memory leak it would be really nice in a work/office environment.

HTH

rock