PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.4 CeBit + KDE 3.2 (remaster) / DVD (DL available )

Fabianx
03-26-2004, 05:41 PM
Hi,

[Update]

The version from iso-top.info can also now be downloaded from:

ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/knoppix-remastered/knoppix-3.4-cdr-by -iso-top.info.iso

ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/knoppix-remastered/knoppix-34-dvd-by- iso-top.info.iso

However you also can purchase those both from iso-top.info.

The 3.4 CeBit is not the official CeBit (this is not allowed to be distributed), but a remaster, which also includes KDE 3.2.1. The official download edition will also have KDE 3.2.1.

So I think it was a good idea.

I think its great that they offer this service.

And no, I don't get money from them; its just for your information...

For those, who don't understand german:

1. Go to: http://iso-top.info/

2. There will be two images with Knoppix 3.4 / Knoppix DVD.

3. Click on the Image of you choice.

4. Then choose "In den Warenkorb" (to the shopping cart)

5. Click on "Shop" (on top of the page) to get back to the first page.

6. If you want to purchase another item, click on it and repeat the steps 3 and 4.

7. If you have selected everything you wanted, click on "Warenkorb" (shopping cart), which can also be found on the top.

8. There you can see the sum of all products. If you want to delete one, click on the red x.

9. Then click on "Weiter zum nächsten Schritt" (to the next step)

Just fill in the following fields especially those under "Rechungsadresse" (billing address).

Email Adresse = email addy
Passwort = password
Wiederholung = repeat password

Anrede = title
Vor/Nachname = Full name
Firma = Company
Strasse, Hausnr. = Street, Nr.
PLZ Ort = PLZ City
zus. Info = additional info
Land = Country
Fon = telephon
Fax = telefax
Mobil = mobile phone number
Newsletter abonnieren = Subscribe to Newsletter

If your country is not in there yet, you can send an email to info@iso-top.info. I'm sure there will be a way.

Then you click on "Weiter zur Kasse" (to the cash desk)

11. Then you can choose the payment method.

Vorkasse = advance payment

That means you have to pay first and then receive the order.

(My own order did arrive today and everything was ok.)

Click on "Weiter zur Kasse" for the last step.

12. You can finish your order by ticking the checkbox (you agree to the AGB) and clicking on "Bestellung absenden" (Submit order)

cu

Fabian

c_cinq
03-26-2004, 09:11 PM
where can one find the change log for knoppix 3.4 CEBIT

Fabianx
03-26-2004, 09:22 PM
where can one find the change log for knoppix 3.4 CEBIT

* Linux Kernel 2.4.25 / Kernel 2.6.3 (cheatcode: knoppix26) with ACPI
* New setup programs for infrared and bluetooth
* Easy GPRS internet access
* Extended hardware detection and updates
* Boots from some USB- and Firewire-CD-Roms
* Internet based software "live-installer", which installs software in the ramdisk or in the persistent home directory
(Like klik; for example can install f-prot and nvidia gfx drivers)
* A free ticket for LinuxTag 2004, Europas biggest Linux-Event
* Many updates for the installer and ports from Kanotix
* KDE 3.2.1

cu

Fabian

eadz
03-26-2004, 11:42 PM
I'm confused.. here you say it's CEBIT and the changelog includes kde 3.2.1 but in this thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7689&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=210) you say it's a remaster.

I take it that
a) cebit edition doesn't include kde.3.2
b) the official version of knoppix 3.4 has not been released, even to top-iso.info and what you are buying there isn't really cebit or knoppix 3.4 ?

ksation
03-27-2004, 02:05 AM
whatever.
get me a dvd .torrent! :lol:

Fabianx
03-27-2004, 02:27 AM
I'm confused.. here you say it's CEBIT and the changelog includes kde 3.2.1 but in this thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7689&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=210) you say it's a remaster.

I take it that
a) cebit edition doesn't include kde.3.2
b) the official version of knoppix 3.4 has not been released, even to top-iso.info and what you are buying there isn't really cebit or knoppix 3.4 ?

a) Yes, CeBit Edition does not include KDE 3.2. But: You can't distribute the CeBit-Edition without remastering, as there is copyrighted material by heise. And I think iso-top.info wanted to do us a favor in including KDE 3.2. I'll change the topic to represent this.

b) Yes, knoppix will only be available earliest in 2 weeks, but I think many people want the feature set of it now. So I was posting this possibility.

cu

Fabian

scottknl
03-27-2004, 06:14 AM
I wasn't aware that a 3.3 version of the DVD existed. Is is just a 3.3 version of knoppix with the extra packages from the 3.2 version installed and updated? or is this just 3.3 version of knoppix on the same dvd as the 3.4 cebit version? I have an iso image of the 3.2 version of the DVD. Is anyone interested in having a bittorrent of the 3.2 DVD version?

Fabianx
03-27-2004, 02:47 PM
I wasn't aware that a 3.3 version of the DVD existed. Is is just a 3.3 version of knoppix with the extra packages from the 3.2 version installed and updated? or is this just 3.3 version of knoppix on the same dvd as the 3.4 cebit version? I have an iso image of the 3.2 version of the DVD. Is anyone interested in having a bittorrent of the 3.2 DVD version?

The DVD is also a remaster. It is based on Knoppix 3.3 (2004-02-16) and has additional packages. (like gnome 2.4 and other goodies)

For Knoppix 3.4 no official DVD exists. The next official DVD will be for LinuxTag, I think.

So to clear it up:

Nothing of this stuff is official. It is rather a remaster. But for those who need program xy, which is not on official knoppix for space reasons a remastered DVD (like for me; I don't have a DVD burner, yet :-/) is nice. :-)

cu

Fabian

Fabianx
04-03-2004, 03:54 PM
Get it back to the top, as there are important changes ...

cu

Fabian

Bernd Blaauw
04-03-2004, 06:12 PM
the DVD ISO is just under 2GB (maximum FAT file size) and the KNOPPIX file also (maximum ISO9660 file size) ?

too bad that I have to disable TORAM FROMDVD then again :)
(or change motherboard and have at least 2.5GB RAM)

OErjan
04-03-2004, 06:26 PM
is not fat32 max filesize just 1byte short of 4Gig ?
atleast according to microsoft. otoh fat 16...

Fabianx
04-03-2004, 08:00 PM
the DVD ISO is just under 2GB (maximum FAT file size) and the KNOPPIX file also (maximum ISO9660 file size) ?

too bad that I have to disable TORAM FROMDVD then again :)
(or change motherboard and have at least 2.5GB RAM)

Hm?

I'm sorry, but I really really tried and ...

*Fabianx thinks hard* :-)

but I do not understand what you want or want to say ...

cu

Fabian

eco2geek
04-03-2004, 08:16 PM
[Update]

The version from iso-top.info can also now be downloaded from...

Thanks very much for the link! Downloading the iso-top remaster now.

Do you know if there's some "cheat codes" or hardware that kernel 2.6 won't work with? I haven't played around with it too much, but it seems upon cursory inspection that if I put in anything beyond "lang=us" it doesn't work.

- e2g

eco2geek
04-03-2004, 09:17 PM
Upon more cursory inspection, one doesn't need to put in "keyboard=us wheelmouse"; putting in "lang=us" is enough. From what I've read, ALSA is "built into" kernel 2.6, so there probably isn't a need for "ALSA" either.

(If I do put in "keyboard=us wheelmouse" it dies, though. :wink:)

- e2g

EmDee
04-03-2004, 09:20 PM
Thanks very much for the link! Downloading the iso-top remaster now.

Do you know if there's some "cheat codes" or hardware that kernel 2.6 won't work with? I haven't played around with it too much, but it seems upon cursory inspection that if I put in anything beyond "lang=us" it doesn't work.
First of all I too would like to thank Fabian for providing us with a link! I tried knoppix 3.4 c't-edition and most (if not all) kernel-level cheatcodes seem to work for the 2.6-series kernel as well! Note that "lang=us" is not a kernel cheatcode, but rather a cheatcode that gets passed on to the init scripts, IIRC. But I'm confident it'll work just as well as it did with 3.4-c't-edition!

eco2geek
04-03-2004, 11:05 PM
I tried knoppix 3.4 c't-edition and most (if not all) kernel-level cheatcodes seem to work for the 2.6-series kernel as well! Note that "lang=us" is not a kernel cheatcode, but rather a cheatcode that gets passed on to the init scripts, IIRC.

An interesting distinction. Which ones are the cheatcodes that get passed to the init scripts, vs. the cheatcodes that get passed to the kernel?

melvis02
04-04-2004, 01:25 AM
Not sure about the CD image, but the DVD iso posted on the above noted FTP identifies itself as KANOTIX when I went to burn it... Haven't actually tried it out yet, however. Either way I suppose it isn't all that big a deal since Kanotix is essentially a knoppix remaster itself, I just think that it should be labelled appropriately so people know what they are downloading before they download a 2GB image.

*Edit*

Whatever the case may be with the application ID and vendor ID of the iso, a uname -a shows
Linux Knoppix 2.6.3 #1 SMP Sun Feb 29 03:18:58 CET 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

Bernd Blaauw
04-04-2004, 03:35 PM
I'd like to know if I can download the DVD ISO to a FAT32 partition.
size of a file on FAT12, FAT16, FAT32 may not exceed 2GB.
and since the DVD ISO is a single file...it has to be under 2GB.

also the ZISOFS file called KNOPPIX in the KNOPPIX directory then must be below 2GB. Otherwise MKISOFS cannot handle it.

Hope this is clear. I don't like downloading the file and then get some failure like "cannot dowload the rest of this file, maximum filesize reached".

Fabianx
04-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Not sure about the CD image, but the DVD iso posted on the above noted FTP identifies itself as KANOTIX when I went to burn it... Haven't actually tried it out yet, however. Either way I suppose it isn't all that big a deal since Kanotix is essentially a knoppix remaster itself, I just think that it should be labelled appropriately so people know what they are downloading before they download a 2GB image.

*Edit*

Whatever the case may be with the application ID and vendor ID of the iso, a uname -a shows
Linux Knoppix 2.6.3 #1 SMP Sun Feb 29 03:18:58 CET 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

Yes, the vendor and application ID is wrong, but it is a Knoppix remaster.

You can trust me in that ;-).

cu

Fabian

mcaycedo
04-04-2004, 06:39 PM
I'm really interested in the DVD, and began the download yesterday, but the FTP site doesn't have resume option. This makes pain in the ass try to download a 2 Gb file. There is some way to fix this?

SUOrangeman
04-05-2004, 02:57 AM
A BitTorrent should fix the partial download, but someone would have to start it. I've only got 1.87GB of the file, so I'm in the same boat.

-SUO

Aleu
04-05-2004, 06:18 AM
A BitTorrent should fix the partial download, but someone would have to start it. I've only got 1.87GB of the file, so I'm in the same boat.

-SUO

Guys what is the FTP address? I have tried:
ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/knoppix-remastered/
but it has only the CeBit 2004 CD version. I am looking for the FTP with the DVD iso image. Could you let me know how to get it? Thanks

SonGoCHaiN
04-05-2004, 09:55 AM
I've installed it but the lilo dont run. Also I cant boot into linux with a floppy disk. I did the three installation (beginner, multiusers and the other one) but with none i've been able boot into linux. Any idea?

resistance
04-05-2004, 10:22 AM
about FAT (above) i stored DVD.iso in USB drive FAT32 (Win without DVDBurner) then burn it with K3B running from C't3.4-CD in another machine

now! after DVDedition installed , the K3B stops at splash screen , scanning devices...
the live-install script stop after initial message ...

somebody with similar problems??

Jafa
04-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Is any changelog available for this distro?
Do anybody know if NTFS is supported there?

devilotx
04-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Getting the CD version now

I'll be happy as hell if this supports my ethernet card... frigging 2.6 C't Edition didn't like my card last time.

*edit* well hell, it does work!

*Does happy dance*

SonGoCHaiN
04-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Someone can install nvidia drivers with kernel 2.6? I use a script to install but them system crushed

devilotx
04-07-2004, 09:07 PM
hmmm... its funny....

When I execute knoppix-installer

I have 3 choices

If I chose beginer, it works, but every boot it recreates 2 files ( the names fail me right now..)

If I choose Debian (what I want) It kernal panics saying it cannot load file system...

xhoangx
04-13-2004, 02:24 AM
is there a way to switch languages while running knoppix? can i switch to english? because the dvd runs in german i think.

vishal
04-24-2004, 09:58 AM
i downloaded this file "knoppix-3.4-cdr-by-iso-top.info.iso". i am having the same problem. i cannot change the language to english.

Is there anyway i can change it or will i have to download the 3.2 edition?

MongooseNX
04-24-2004, 03:36 PM
At the boot prompt you should type: knoppix lang=en
That should set the language to german

you might also have to click on the little country flag in the lower right hand corner to switch the keyboard mapping to a US keyboard.

Hope that helps

Robert

arkaine23
05-01-2004, 11:55 PM
New Overclockix 3.4 remaster hit the streets yesterday. has some patched up installers to avoid some of the problems in the original cebit 3.4. Also has some user-requested packages like firefox, thunderbird, mplayer, the newer gimp 2.0, karamba, and many more. Has been apt-get upgraded to unstable distribution for newest packages available. Highly customized desktops, and KDE now at 3.2.2. Openoffice removed to make space. You can apt-get install openoffice.org for hdd-installs. kdei18n multi-language stuff has been removed for space also. This thing is defaults to English (KDE and Keyboard)!

http://overclockix.octeams.com

The beta from a few months ago had bugs in the kmenu and kicker, but in the new release these things have been fixed.

It is available by Bittorrent due to popularity. My hosts get hammered otherwise. We did almost 150 d/l's in the first 24 hours since distrowatch took notice of the new release.

iso-top
09-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Hello Bernd,

this is incorrect.

only /KNOPPIX = 1,96 GB (max 2,0 GB )
/dvd = 3,4 GB
(Knoppix 3.6 DVD with KDE 3.3 )

greetings from Germany,
Marlis

lilsirecho
09-03-2004, 01:55 AM
Fabianx;
I have downloaded a remaster DVD from chemnitz which I burned to disc 4x media +RW on a sony DVD writer with k3b in knoppix 3.4 CD.

I have operated the dvd disc ...fromhdd.. with home and config in good order.

I have 2.5GB of ram installed in an athlon 1900+ system.

The DVD loads in ..fromhd...in one minute and 35 secs. It is 2.181GB in size( about half of the media disc).

I attempted many times to perform...toram.., both from the disc and from ...fromhd..... The result is always the same...not enough space in device and a listing of all the pkgs attempted with the same error statement; not enough space in device.

The actual mechanics of ...toram... is not delineated in the cheatcodes.

Perhaps it requires a large swap file which would, in my case, prevent the loading of the DVD contents since I do not have that much swap.

The full 2.5GB is referenced during boot sequence so enough ram is available.

I note one post stating he needed 2.5GB in order to do ...TORAM FROMDVD...

My printout during boot includes one note at the beginning of the loading from DVD toram: it states....linuxrc:/usr/bin/awk :not found

Following this printout is the wait while loading continues from DVD: this is followed by the errors due to lack of space in device. So I am unable to install the DVD into ram.

I note that if I call a GB file from HDD into ram while in knoppix CD 2.6 option, the total ram in use is 2GB. due to the HDD being mounted, unmounting removes the extra GB from ram.

A similar situation seems to affect the use of ...toram ...with the DVD remaster I have tried.

Please get me straightened out!!!! Lotta ram..lotta bucks!!!

Ray :D

lilsirecho
09-04-2004, 12:20 AM
The present listings of cheat codes list a ..toram..from CD.

I assume this means just what it says...from CD.

There is no cheat code listing for ...toram.. from DVD.

Is this to be interpreted to mean that only CD ..toram is permitted?

On Sept 21, 2004 Klaus Knopper replied to query...3GB of ram is required for the 2GB DVD disc(limit of isolinux size) and the cheat code is...Knoppix26 toram.....

He indicated that MMU technique permits greater than the 3GB mobo ram stick limit.

I know but little about such technique!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When is a zero always equal to a one?

lilsirecho
10-03-2004, 01:39 AM
My last comment...probably the best!

I booted a DVD of 2Gb ..TORAM today for the first time.

It has 5GB of program material in ram.

My system loaded it in 5mins10secs to desktop KDE.(athlon 1900+).

I can now run without hdds or CD's and hve access to USB "on call" and leave the system on all day and night.

I discovered a lack of programming within the linuxrc which did not allow loading beyond 800MB. Inserting 2500MB permitted the DVD disc to boot the full DVD 2GB with an available 2.5GB in memory.

Contact with Klaus did not reveal the requirement nor did contact with iso-top-info versand de, who remastered the DVD with the 800MB limit.

I have a lollipop to lick!!!!!