PDA

View Full Version : Where is the location of the programs that are installed

david90schr
03-26-2004, 06:27 PM
I have installed a program called WINE under knoppix 3.3 . I am very new with linux. I used windows already for 8 years and i am 14 years now. I know everything about windows, and i was a real windows fan. Until i saw knoppix 3.2, my brother's is a student and he used knoppix 3.2 at school. I saw it and it was beautiful. And i maked my standard operating system. I deleted all filesystems on each harddrive. And i created on 2 linux ext2 filesystem and at one linux swap and at a another one linuxex3. But i doesnt know this: IF YOU INSTALL A PROGRAM UNDER LINUX/UNIX WHERE IS THE FOLDER WHERE YOU HAVE INSTALLED IT. AND HOW CAN YOU START THE PROGRAM IF YOU DOESNT KNOW WHERE THE BUTTON IS TO ACTIVATE THE PROGRAM. PLEASE TELL ME ITS A NOOB QUESTION BUT I NEED TO KNOW IT.

firebyrd10
03-26-2004, 06:57 PM
Call up a command shell and try typing in wine

But why did you install wine anyway? it comes standard on knoppix.

c123
03-27-2004, 12:24 AM
But i doesnt know this: IF YOU INSTALL A PROGRAM UNDER LINUX/UNIX WHERE IS THE FOLDER WHERE YOU HAVE INSTALLED IT. AND HOW CAN YOU START THE PROGRAM IF YOU DOESNT KNOW WHERE THE BUTTON IS TO ACTIVATE THE PROGRAM. PLEASE TELL ME ITS A NOOB QUESTION BUT I NEED TO KNOW IT.

Just like Windows, a program can be installed anywhere... With Debian packages things are pretty organized though. To find out where a program lives, one option is to use 'locate'. It's pretty quick as it consults a database. To keep the database up to date, use 'locatedb' (as root).

If you've got two versions of a progaram, which version is going to run? If you don't explicitly say which version you want to run, Linux is going to run the first version that it finds, the first one in its path. A path is a list of directories to look in for an executable of the name you give. To find out what you path is, type 'export $PATH'. (I cannot remember off hand how to change you path).

How do you run a specific version of a program, or one that is not in your path? By saying exactly where the program is: e.g. to run special_program1 which is in /usr/bin, you'd type '/usr/bin/special_program1'. If 'special_program1' is in the current directory, you;'d type './special_program1'. (To find out your current directory, 'pwd'.).

Now to find out more, to understand better, to help you to 'do', I recommend the following two guides in addition to this forum and other resources (don't forget http://www.tldp.org/guides.html):

1. 'Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide' at http://tille.soti.org/training/tldp/

2. 'LINUX NEWBIE ADMINISTRATOR GUIDE' at http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/

HTH

david90schr
03-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Thanks, i can finally run my installed programs by using the console. But can you run them without using the console. Oh yeah, i have installed wine and i have installed a program called kazaalite but where is it. I cant find it.

P.S Do you need a virusscanner for linux or is there already a virusscanner.

c123
03-27-2004, 11:52 AM
Thanks, i can finally run my installed programs by using the console. But can you run them without using the console. Do you mean can you run a program using the 'K' menu like using the 'Start' menu in Windows? Certainly. Just as in Windows, you can add and remove items from your start/K menu ('K => Settings => Menu Editor' may be what you're looking for - I have yet to play aorund with this).

Oh yeah, i have installed wine and i have installed a program called kazaalite but where is it. I cant find it. Sorry have yet to play around with wine - try searching the forums, and if that doesn't help start a new post.

P.S Do you need a virusscanner for linux or is there already a virusscanner.Virus scanners do exist for linux IIRC, but nobody really uses them - virus writers rarely target linux, and because it's generally a more secure platform (normal users cannot change eseential system files, most services are by defauly turned off) - as long you are not 'root' all the time.